Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Raugmor
Frequent Visitor

Filling in gaps from linked table

I tried to figure this one myself to no luck and couldn't find similar problem through Google.

I have a number of tables within PowerBI dashboard, one table is a stock table that has values for random dates throughout the month, what i am trying to figure out is, how can i use dates from DayDim table(that has all dates for a month) in a table view and have a measure that would fill in missing dates with the most recent value from the stock table.

Please see a simplified representation as per image below.

Of course in that stock table i have numerous products and customers etc. for each of those dates, so i would need to have the ability to still calculate values within those contexts, rather than just a total value number.

any help greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

I have also uploaded a simplified PBIX file to my Google Drive if that helps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oai8T0w8T2LWrCoRqQGJhglZEHHRcloo

2 REPLIES 2
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Raugmor ,

I found that the pbix file you shared is different from your description, as a result, I produce a pbix file with your sample data, please refer to the following DAX query:

Stock Value =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Stock Table'[Stock Value],
    'Stock Table'[Stock Date], CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Stock Table'[Stock Date] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Stock Table' ),
            'Stock Table'[Stock Date] <= EARLIER ( 'Day Dim Table'[Date] )
        )
    )
)

The result will like below:

PBIDesktop_7TDTqpy0vN.png

Please refer to the following pbix file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjytBuzIG5m9tQtryLpVyOxOTWzv

Best Regards,

Teige

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I probably oversimplified the example in actual post(the PBIX i attached is closer to what i require): stock table has various lines for the same day, i.e. different products, and i would need to be able to calculate values within those context/filters. the reason behind this kind of duplication is because i have a bunch of other tables(in actual PBI i am developing) for each date and i am doing a table on all tables in one view, and with this set having gaps i cannot represent data in one table showing all other daily data set tables and the stock value for the missing dates AND being able to filter on particular product/customer.

Apologies for the confusion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.