Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pillz_
Frequent Visitor

Filling column with another value in the same column but different row

I have a table that contains main jobs and sub jobs that are related to the main jobs. I'm trying to create a filter that contains the concatenation of the job code and the respective job name. This will be the Job Combined column. Based on the current photos of the mock tables, is there a way to change the Job Combined Table to only contain the parent job names and not the sub job names?

Current table layout

Pillz__1-1612201046274.png

What I want 

Pillz__2-1612201054404.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Is there a column which indicates the Parent Jobs?

If so, and the Jobs and SubJobs are in order this can probably be done in Power Query in a straightforward manner - create a column on the Parent Jobs to give the 'Job Combined' then do a Fill Down on the column.

If they are not in order, there needs to be a column on the subjobs which shows which is the parent.  Then use M or DAX to get the JOb Combined from the parent.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@HotChilli Do you want to assist @Pillz_  here, if not then I can take care of it. Cheers!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Is there a column which indicates the Parent Jobs?

If so, and the Jobs and SubJobs are in order this can probably be done in Power Query in a straightforward manner - create a column on the Parent Jobs to give the 'Job Combined' then do a Fill Down on the column.

If they are not in order, there needs to be a column on the subjobs which shows which is the parent.  Then use M or DAX to get the JOb Combined from the parent.

See my reply to @parry2k below with the updated table mockup containing a hierarchy for the jobs

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Pillz_ it can be done but from the mock-up, it is not clear how sub-jobs are related to parent job, I don't see any logic or pattern in it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Forgot to include in the table but there is a column called Hierachy that tracks the hierarchy level. I've also found out that some of these sub jobs also have sub jobs within them. Here's a new mockup for the table 

Pillz__0-1612206773406.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.