Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filled map with postal/zip codes stopped working

Hi,

I have a Power BI dashboard that uses the Filled map visual to show postal/zip code areas in the Netherlands. This suddenly stopped working, the visual does not show the postal code areas anymore. 

Input values for my Filled map are landcode ('nl' in my case) and postal codes ('1011', .. , '9999'). The data categories are 'Country/Region' for the landcode and 'Postal Code' for the postal codes. On the first level of the hierarchy I see the Netherlands pop up as expected, but when I drill down to the hierarchal level of the postal code I see an empty map with no colored postal codes. 

Help would very much be appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

@v-easonf-msft: the problem has solved itself, the filled maps worked again for some reason. Maybe there was a bug in Power BI or Bing Maps that has been fixed in the meantime. 

@Watsky: unfortunatly ArcMaps is currently unavailble at my organization. But it could me a good alternative for the future. Thanks for the tip!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous @Henrike 

Why not use ArcMaps? You can still draw boundaries and it is populating the Postal Codes on the map.

Boundaries on ArcMap.png

If you decide you want to go that route:

1. Click on the ArcMaps for Power BI visual then add your Postal Code field to Location and Color;

2. Top right of your visual click the three (3) dots for more options;

3. Click Edit;

4. Click Location type;

5. Change Represent location as Boundaries, Locations are in One Country, Netherlands as the country, Location type I changed mine to Postcodes5 - NLD_4orange_2019, and click Closest match; then

6. Click OK

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! 👍
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

@Watsky 

Thank you for the reply.

I have been looking at the Arcmaps, but this doesnt seem to work properly...

I only have the 4 number of de postal code. 

When I enter these in the Arcmaps I get the dots, if I then change it the way you suggested and use the PC4 option... I get a filled map. But still it doesn't seem to be correct.

What does the postal code variabele look like? I have entered the number with the land so : 2345,Netherlands

See the screen shots I added.

The black cirkel are postal codes that shouldn't be located there, the rest of them seem ok.

Screenshot14mei PC4_1 punt.jpgScreenshot14mei PC4_2 vlek.jpg

I used the postal codes just with the number / letter combo so  1012 CR for instance. Which codes are you using?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watsky: Thanks Watsky! Just the first four numbers (1012), so all postal codes starting with 1012. 

I'm not familiar with the Netherlands codes but is this what you're looking for? I have three codes just as a test but the blue area is indicated as 1012.

Boundaries on ArcMap2.png

@Watsky Yes, that is what I use as @Anonymous  the 4 numbers of the code (no letters). I will try what you just send. You dont add the country to the postal code if I am correct? so the variabele just consists of the numbers 1012 (no ",NL" or ",Netherlands")? 

Hi , @Henrike 

Could you please tell me whether your problem has been solved?
If it is,  please mark the helpful replies or add your reply as Answered to close this thread.
It will help other community members easily find the solution when they get the same issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

@v-easonf-msft: the problem has solved itself, the filled maps worked again for some reason. Maybe there was a bug in Power BI or Bing Maps that has been fixed in the meantime. 

@Watsky: unfortunatly ArcMaps is currently unavailble at my organization. But it could me a good alternative for the future. Thanks for the tip!

@Anonymous no problem. Glad to help!

@Henrike yes that is correct. I just used the postal code numbers.

Henrike
Regular Visitor

I am having the exact same problem, the filled map of the Netherlands with the postal codes is not working anymore. Also not in dashboards I made earlier.

So I'll follow this topic, hope someone has a solution.

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

Here is a sample pbix attached

Make sure the format of your postal code is correct.  Url

For example:

23.png

The result will show as below:

24.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-easonf-msft, thanks for the response!

In the example you sent the whole of Amsterdam is shown instead of the specific postal code '1012 CR'. It seems to be working for cities in the Netherlands but not for postal codes. 

Also I am interested in the larger area '1012' that contains all postal codes starting with 1012 ('1012 AA', ... ,'1012 ZZ').

Here you can see postal code '1012' in Google Maps: https://www.google.nl/maps/place/1012+Amsterdam/@52.370474,4.8919681,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47c609b88... 

Any idea how I can show this postal code '1012' with a filled map in Power BI? 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous So it was working before? Read this post if it helps.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k: Thanks for your response. Indeed, it used to work but since a few weeks it stopped working. Same dashboard with same data does not work anymore. I tried the tips in the post you sent but unfortunatly it did not help to make the postal code areas visible again. 

@Anonymous weird, don't what to tell except to log a support case or maybe someone who come across the same issue, can assist.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.