Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filled map is blank when Map is not

Hi all,

My filled map doesn't work. Whether I enter long lats, countries, states, anything. It never fills anything, but for the exact same data, the map does.

FilledMapIssue.pngAs shown above, with the same fields in the same place, the map produces dots and the filled map produces nothing.

Any idea as to why this is or how to fix it?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
ahines
Advocate I
Advocate I

I had the same issue a while ago. Here is the solution. 

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filled-Map-Issues/m-p/210696#M92994

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, thanks for your response!

I tried using the format suggested in the link you sent as shown below, but still no success (I also made sure to categorize the column as a state). 

New format (I just spotted that there's a double space after 'State' but still doesn't work after correcting this):

State_2.0.png

I'm just using the raw state name, but I am on the July version I believe. I'll try it on the August, newest version.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried both raw state name and the Bing friendlier <Statename> " State United States", both categorized to state and both on the August version. Possible firewall issue? I find it hard to believe it affects one of the bing maps and not the other though.

@Anonymous,

The latest version(2.49.4831.521) works for me.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange, this is why I am suspecting it could be some kind of in house problem with firewall or something. But it's odd that the map works and the filled map doesn't. They're both bing maps?

Hm. That is odd. I'm not sure what could be the problem then. The mapping was certainly easier a few months ago. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could it be a problem with a firewall at my company perhaps? I know the bing maps need to be used online, but it seems strange that one map works and the other doesn't.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, I am not having that issue, what is the format of your State column, is it just values like:

Ohio

Kentucky

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response,

That is correct, I have also tried a version suggested where instead of state I use <state> "State United States".

All to no avail I'm afraid

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.