Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tmoey
Frequent Visitor

Filled Map won't fill a US state

I am having  an issue getting the filled map visual to work.

Would appreciate any pointers to correct this issue.

I am trying to create a filled map visual to show:

a) Count of Providers in the State (this count also controls the color saturation on the map)

b) Count of Networks in the State

The data is setup like this:

AddressState,   Network Count,  Provider Count

-----------------------------------------------------

UT                         3                          183

IL                         15                        1,235

The map fills correctly, except for the state of Utah, 

If I create a "Table" visual with the same data,

the counts for Utah show up correctly (so I know it is not a data or calculation issue).

I have set the "AddressState" field in Power BI Modeling to a Data Category of "State or Province"

Also, If I use ZipCode instead of State, the map will fill in the Utah zip codes on the map, it just wont work at the State level.

Screen shot of the map with UTAH not filled in, and the data used to fill the map.... 

MissingUtah.pngCountsForMap.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
tmoey
Frequent Visitor

I have a kludgy solution to this problem. It involves creating a new column in the table with the following formula:

US_States = IF('TableName'[AddressState]="LA","Louisiana,USA",'TableName'[AddressState]&",USA").

What this does is add a ",USA" suffix to each state abbreviation, and if the state="LA", spell out the state to "Louisiana, USA"- this is because Bing maps would otherwise plot LA as "Los Angeles" (good grief!).

You must set the new column of "US_States to a data category of "Place"

Hope someone else can benefit from this post

View solution in original post

Hi @tmoey,

Thanks for your sharing.
BTW, I think the it may related to abbreviation.

Note: When working with countries or regions, use the three-letter abbreviation to ensure that geocoding works properly in map visualizations. Do not use two-letter abbreviations, as some countries or regions may not be properly recognized.

If you only have two-letter abbreviations, check out this external blog post for steps on how to associate your two-letter country/region abbreviations with three-letter country/region abbreviations.

So after you add the detail country to current data, the visual works on your side.

For detailed information please refer to below article:

How to Use Map Visualizations

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tmoey
Frequent Visitor

I have a kludgy solution to this problem. It involves creating a new column in the table with the following formula:

US_States = IF('TableName'[AddressState]="LA","Louisiana,USA",'TableName'[AddressState]&",USA").

What this does is add a ",USA" suffix to each state abbreviation, and if the state="LA", spell out the state to "Louisiana, USA"- this is because Bing maps would otherwise plot LA as "Los Angeles" (good grief!).

You must set the new column of "US_States to a data category of "Place"

Hope someone else can benefit from this post

Hi @tmoey,

Thanks for your sharing.
BTW, I think the it may related to abbreviation.

Note: When working with countries or regions, use the three-letter abbreviation to ensure that geocoding works properly in map visualizations. Do not use two-letter abbreviations, as some countries or regions may not be properly recognized.

If you only have two-letter abbreviations, check out this external blog post for steps on how to associate your two-letter country/region abbreviations with three-letter country/region abbreviations.

So after you add the detail country to current data, the visual works on your side.

For detailed information please refer to below article:

How to Use Map Visualizations

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tmoey,

>>I have set the "AddressState" field in Power BI Modeling to a Data Category of "State or Province"

Based on your description, it seems like power bi can't properly analysis your address with 'state or province' category. Can you please share some sample data to test?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi Xiaoxin:

this is simplified data, but it will still re-produce the issue where the state of UT is not being filled in the map:

State,Provider Count,Network Count
AZ,20,10
CA,30,20
NV,40,30
UT,10,5

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.