Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndyMaher
Regular Visitor

Filled Map multiple countries/jurisdictions

I have some data that spans multiple countries. Currently this data only a postcode a 2letter contry and a value. I'd like to show this data on a filled map broken down by region/county. As the source data only has a country and post code I am in control of how I store the rest of the location data but I don't seem to be able to get a consistant level of breakdown.

if I just consider the 4 countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland I can get them to display correctly by setting the category of the colum that contains the country names (England, Wales etc) to "state/province" and the column that contains the counties to "County". But when I introduce figures for the Republic of Ireland it want the country column to be set to "country" category, and the column that contains the counties to "state/province". (and it gets even more confusing when I introduce Australia and New zealand)

Am I asking too much to be able to show the figure for Cork and Cornwall on the same filled map?

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I wonder if you could combine the addresses pieces into a single field and just tag it as "Address" and perhaps that might get you what you want.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the response, it was a good idea but it didn't work.

I created a combine column that contains the county/state & country. 

Cork, Ireland
Cornwall, England, United Kingdom
Queensland, Australia 

if I set it to "address" (or "place") it doesn't show any data on the filled map. 😞

If I set it to either "state/province" or "County" I get the same problem as before with Ireland and Australia displaying right or the UK but not all of them. I'm starting to think this filled map is more hasle than its worth. the other map seems to be able to cope with the data.

@AndyMaher

We can’t dynamically populate data field into map category based on country selection.

In this scenario, if using a combined column Filled map can’t resolve it into detail position on map. So instead of creating a combined column, you can populate the values in “county” column into “State/province” column for those countries with no state/province information like Ireland.

Regards

I know I've not explained the problem particularly well in the original post but I think what your suggesting is effectively what I was intially doing. That certainly gets me something showing on the map for UK & Ireland. but the problem is that Ireland is correctly broken down by county but the UK is broken down by the country (England, Wales etc).

I was hoping to be able to show data for all the Irish counties (Cork, Galway etc) on the same Filled Map as the UK counties (Cornwall, Penbrokeshire, County Down etc) but its looking like this might not be possible using the Filled Map.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this how they achived it but in the meantime I have used the other map (with the circles).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.