Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LukeChung
Frequent Visitor

Filled Map error: Cannot read property 'absolute' of undefined

I get this error when I try to assign a zip code field to the Location property of a Filled Map chart:

Cannot read property 'absolute' of undefined

A rather cryptic error message. Not sure what's triggering that. All the zip code values are valid zip codes. I can use the field in other visualizations without a problem. The Zip Code field only contains 5 digits (no Zip + 4).

It's not a problem with the map when I use a Country or State field. 

Power BI Version: 2.56.5023.861 64-bit (March 2018)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The problem went away when I installed the 32-bit version of PowerBI on another machine and used the same saved Power BI file.

Still pointing to the same SQL Server database on Azure. 

The error is gone. Not sure why.

When I open the same file from the 64-bit version, the error remains. 

The 32-bit version is available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

as the PBIDesktop.msi file.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
natex8
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same aforementioned issue with applying ZIP code to the "Location" field.  It worked for approximately a day and now it causes the "filled map" to crash on a regular basis.  The issue will stabilize if I filter down the input field with slicers.

This is super frustrating, because there ins't a clean alternative as it relates to mapping a zip-code.

Regards,

Nate

natex8
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same aforementioned issue with applying ZIP code to the "Location" field.  It worked for approximately a day and now it causes the "filled map" to crash on a regular basis.  The issue will stabilize if I filter down the input field with slicers.

This is super frustrating, because there ins't a clean alternative as it relates to mapping a zip-code.

Regards,

Nate

rakeshpant81
Frequent Visitor

I am also facing the similar issue and using 32-bit version didn't solve the issue for me. Does anyone has any further insights on this issue please?

star999
Frequent Visitor

Does your problem has been solved?

I also get the Filled map proglem,

I can't  show any country in map, Even the data only 1 row & 1col (data-value is "china")

I've try several times (v2.54/ v2.55/ v2.56  201801~201803), only 1 version can be done.

you can try v.2.54 english X86 Power BI desktop.

I still have the problem.

The problem went away when I installed the 32-bit version of PowerBI on another machine and used the same saved Power BI file.

Still pointing to the same SQL Server database on Azure. 

The error is gone. Not sure why.

When I open the same file from the 64-bit version, the error remains. 

The 32-bit version is available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

as the PBIDesktop.msi file.

It's must a bug!!  ,does it?

Sure seems like a bug.

It turns out that after I used the 64-bit version to open the file and confirm it still failed, it seemed to corrupt the file. Using the 32-bit version now fails when opening that file.

I have a backup, so I recovered it and it opens fine with the 32-bit version. At this point, I'll stick to the 32-bit version and stayaway from the 64-bit version.

Would still like to get an explanation of what the error message means.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @LukeChung,

In my test (Version: 2.56.5023.861), I added Zip code field into Location property of a Filled Map, I didn't get above error. I set its data category to "Postal code".

2.PNG

Please share some sample data of your zip cide field.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I suspect there's something odd about the data that prevents something from being plotted. I can't seem to isolate it.

I've filtered on subsets of the zip codes and they are fine, however when combined together, the error appears.

It seems to be a problem when the number of zip codes exceeds a certain amount.

• I have 194 zip codes in my data set.
  • I'm plotting a count for each zip code
  • When I filter on them and select the Top 90, it fails (it's okay for the Top 89).
    • 89 happens to be the dividing line between counts of 5 and 4.
  • When I choose the Bottom 176 it fails, but the Bottom 175 works.
    • 175 happens to be the dividing line between counts of 16 and 15; and includes most of the Top zip codes except the top 19

So all the zip codes plot properly, but the change in the count seems to trigger the error.

If the error message weren't so cryptic, I'd be able to find the problem more quickly. Any idea what the error message is referencing? What's the absolute property? Is that a property of the data color? Using the default settings.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors