Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ALIV16
Regular Visitor

Filled Map Not Recognizing States

I have created a map to help internal staff and partners understand our territories and it works great unless they want to click on the "NS" (Nova Scotia, Canada) and "BC" (British Columbia, Canada) states in the map...NS displays in Australia and BC displays Baja California. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm relatively new to Power BI, so this could be a simple fix, but I couldn't find anything in the forums/support documentation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ALIV16,

Based on document, please use three-letter abbreviation location, if you use two-letter abbreviations, map visual may not correctly analysis the address.

Note: When working with countries or regions, use the three-letter abbreviation to ensure that geocoding works properly in map visualizations. Do not use two-letter abbreviations, as some countries or regions may not be properly recognized.

If you only have two-letter abbreviations, check out this external blog post for steps on how to associate your two-letter country/region abbreviations with three-letter country/region abbreviations.

How to Use Map Visualizations

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ALIV16,

Based on document, please use three-letter abbreviation location, if you use two-letter abbreviations, map visual may not correctly analysis the address.

Note: When working with countries or regions, use the three-letter abbreviation to ensure that geocoding works properly in map visualizations. Do not use two-letter abbreviations, as some countries or regions may not be properly recognized.

If you only have two-letter abbreviations, check out this external blog post for steps on how to associate your two-letter country/region abbreviations with three-letter country/region abbreviations.

How to Use Map Visualizations

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If I use the spelled out versions instead of the abbreviations then it seems to work.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.