Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ahines
Advocate I
Advocate I

Filled Map Issues

I've been having a lot of issues with this filled map recently and can't figure out how to fix it. And even when I do counties the state field and county field mix together. I've got my 'State' field categorized to state and I'm still having this issue. Do I need to have a country field as well? All of my states have data and this is what my filled map shows. 

Can someone help me with this issue? 

Filled Map.PNGStates.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

*** One quick disclosure, I WISH it didn't work this way, but sometimes this is what you have to do to get BING maps happy... ***

See below where I have <State Name> "State" <County Name> in one field i'm using as Location on the filled map.  I have the 'Data Category' under Modeling set to 'State or Province'.    Thank you BING MAPS!  haha

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

See my 'how it's supposed to work' example 1 below, and example 2 of 'how to get it to work'...  For some reason, ONLY Cobb County GA shows up on the 'how it's supposed to work' method.  I had to create a merged column more clearly defining what i'm looking for in exmaple 2 to get the proper results!

When dealing wth filled maps remember the location 'logic' is based on Bing searching.  So, basically I like to think about manually typing in a Bing search...  am I searching for 'Baldwin' and 'AL' in Bing Maps, or what if I searched for 'Baldwin County AL' in Bing Maps!

Hope this helps, and don't forget to assign your location a Data Category under Modeling on the Ribbon!

FOrrest

Capture.PNG

Thank You!

Thank you for the response. I think it worked for county level but I am still unsure of how to fix it at a state level. 

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

*** One quick disclosure, I WISH it didn't work this way, but sometimes this is what you have to do to get BING maps happy... ***

See below where I have <State Name> "State" <County Name> in one field i'm using as Location on the filled map.  I have the 'Data Category' under Modeling set to 'State or Province'.    Thank you BING MAPS!  haha

Capture.PNG

Thank You!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I'm running into this issue big time right now. I had to do "New York State" instead of "New York".

Yet, somehow it's magically fine with Bavaria, England, Antioquia, etc.

This is absolutely insane. They really need a guide on how to properly format this information; it broke many of my public online samples. Maybe I'm missing something. I saw a little sentence in the June summary saying it's changing, but I didn't see any documentation on how to deal with the change.

Now I've got to figure out how in the world it's going to accept all the city names I have that aren't showing up. I'm using the official international English designations, but apparently that's not good enough for the new Bing geocode API.

I completely agree. This is a mess. 

Wow, that is inconvenient to do. I don't recall this filled map being that hard to fill before a few months ago. 

Thank you for the help. That has solved my problem.

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I agree it was easier a few months ago... not sure what changed.  😞

Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.