Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Antonio_Sanchez
Frequent Visitor

Fill empty spaces in Matrix Power BI

Hello to all.

Always will be great share with people in this amazing forum for Power BI. for people like me in low level, always is great hear an read solutions to every challange in entire world. congratulations to all of you.

in this case i think need to do a litle preview of this problem. some months ago i received a incredible explanation from @Greg_Deckler about MTBF and MTTR maths for electrical and mechanicals systems for engineering.

ok. with this kind of  data, we can do an eficiency and diponibility stadistics fo all systems we work with.

totally easy with powe bi, i can get a matrix, put system and disponibility (all math included), but when check result, there are many empty spaces for the matrix. and the reason for this, is that in particular months we didnt have any report to attend, and there is not any data to process.

the question is if there is any condition to aply to matrix to show a number for those empty spaces. 

i search and found some solution to how to replace no data, but only when yor calculations found a field (column or row, with data), not when there is nothing.

our goal is "If there was no error reported in particulas month, it means the system worked perfectly and disponibility was 100%", but table, data for those empty cells in  matrix no exists.

please any advice in this case is appreciated.

regards.

saludos desde Mexico

Antonio_Sanchez_0-1598473831932.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

** Disclosure - I've had mixed results with this method depending on values and the DAX of value you are showing.  It seems like the more complex my Logix / Matrix, the less often it works...

See where I 'filled' this Matrix by replacing my Values with a Measure.  Only 3 'Real' Data Lines, the rest are from the Measure...

Blank_Check = if ( SUM(Matrix[Value]) = 0, "0", SUM(Matrix[Value]))

fhill_0-1598475228272.png

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

** Disclosure - I've had mixed results with this method depending on values and the DAX of value you are showing.  It seems like the more complex my Logix / Matrix, the less often it works...

See where I 'filled' this Matrix by replacing my Values with a Measure.  Only 3 'Real' Data Lines, the rest are from the Measure...

Blank_Check = if ( SUM(Matrix[Value]) = 0, "0", SUM(Matrix[Value]))

fhill_0-1598475228272.png

Thank You!

fhill,

its just amazing.

i really appreciate your help.

it worked fine,

just little comment, probably is not necesary to expand to last month of year. i mean, all my data is calculated to 2020 august, but the calculate measure gives info until december

Antonio_Sanchez_0-1598484610917.png

Try a Filter on the Visual to limit the trailing Months.  Happy to help, glad it worked for you in this instance.

Forrest

Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.