Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fill Down and Sort order ?

Hi,

I have a dataset with incomplete dates, so I'm trying to fill in the blanks using Fill Down.

But before I do so, I wan't to make sure exactly what happens when using fill down.

If I sort my table by a specific column and then use a Fill down, can I be sure that Query editor fill down based on the sort order I have just applied?

I remember working with something similar previosuly, utilizing Table.Buffer to mainting a local copy of the table, but having read up a bit on Query folding, I wan't to maintain as much in the folding process instead of locally to maintain high performance.

How will "Fill Down" work, if I'm not applying a Table.Buffer beforehand ? 

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

If I sort my table by a specific column and then use a Fill down, can I be sure that Query editor fill down based on the sort order I have just applied?

Based on my experience, the fill down will work based on the sort order step applied in this scenario.

As for the query folding, I don't think it is supported for fill down step currently. Smiley Happy

It is important to understand which step/transformation folds and which doesn’t. To understand that simply right click on every step and see if the View Native Query is enabled or not. If it is enabled Query Folding is supported for that step, otherwise not. 

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.