Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pmorg73
Post Patron
Post Patron

Files take long time to open

Since the July update my files have been taking super long times to open. 

My computer goes to 100% memory and then sits there and does nothing. My report is 15 csv files from folder and takes forever to open. anyone know how to solve this?

Last night I took my laptop home, turned off Trend Micro antivirus and left it and went to have a bath. it had opened when I got back to it 30 mins later.

up until the July update my file took maye 2-3mins to open. Now it is unusable.

I have even rebuilt the model which worked for a couple of days (but took a week to do). then it started doing the same.

I then even half rebuilt the model only using local folder and adding no Dax measures not sharepoint and it is doing the same thing now.

I am lost

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Pmorg73 Are you still on July or August? You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg I note a "solution" was clicked byy someone. I never actually solved my problem and just so you know I have had to rebuild the model again using the June build of PowerBI. Something in July carried in to August and it makes my shrepoint folder data file take 30-60 minutes to open, while taking my ram to 100% used so the computer is unusable while it does it.

June build does not do this. Is there a way we can get a word to the development team about this?  I rebuilt it once in July and now twice in August and it took considerable time.

The link you posted showed that people doing live data were also getting this issue. My file was not quite this. I am using a sharepoint folder to make a dataset, then using that as a live link for my reports. The linked reports open up fine in current build btw

@Pmorg73 That was me, I was trying to reply to follow-up and hit the wrong button apparently. I unaccepted it as a solution. Not sure what else you can do other than contact support. If you log it as an issue, the dev teams will see it. I would also open a support ticket so that they can hope on with you and you can get them a diagnostics dump. That will assist them greatly in figuring out what is going on. I haven't seen too many reports of anything exactly like our situation. What doesn't make sense to me is the file taking a long time to open. Opening the file, it shouldn't matter what the data sources are if this is in import mode. This is in import mode, right? Importing from a file in SharePoint?

Latest book!:

Yeah import from a sharepoint list. All my files are csv or xlsx files. I used Marco's external tool to check my data size and it was about 80mb.

I even tried to rebuild in Aug version using a local folder only, and that did exactly the same problem after 1 days modelling.

Started again in June version and its been working fine since last week. (about 80% rebuilt).

I figured out that it does eventually open by using a colleagues PC who was off last Friday and just left it running. It took an hour to open on that desktop pc.It allowed me to copy and paste all my measures in to a word doc though so that was worth it.

@Pmorg73 Couple things to try, turn off auto date hierarchy in Data Load perhaps although 80MB is nothing quite honestly. If it is from a local file folder then it doesn't ahve anything to do with SharePoint as the source. Is this a folder query or is each CSV a separate query?

Latest book!:

Yep I had turned off auto date already. Also turned off auto column detect as that messed up some time values I was turning in to decimal.

I was using sharepoint as it allows autorefresh of the dataset in the service

I am loading each csv seperately. so I have 15 or so tables. They are seperate reports out of Workflow Max which we use for time keeping and invoicing.

I then use relationships between a dimesnion "Job number" table and the "calendar date" table to build my reports.

@Pmorg73 - OK, can you post maybe some examples of your queries from Advanced Editor, I just want to get a sense of complexity. Also, can you post a screen shot of your relationships in your data model? Again, just to understand complexity.

Is the data highly sensitive? Any chance you could ship me the PBIX and I could see if it acts the same on my machine?

Latest book!:

Hi Greg

Not currently a Pro user.

i do see a thread in the list you sent showing a lot of people having trouble with the July and august builds. Looks like its a wide problem. I either have to wait until the Sept roll out or rebuild it in the June build. ffs

Luckily all my published reports are working from the published central dataset file. I can just not create any new measures until this is sorted out.

Thansk for the thread I will continue to read that

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.