Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sujith12345
Helper I
Helper I

File size

Hi all, 

My excel file(source fie) size is 28mb and pbix file size is 80mb.I need to reduce my pbix file size. Suggest some idea. 

6 REPLIES 6
timg
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Sujith,

Radacad has some good recommendations for this. Might be a good place to start: How to Reduce the Size of Power BI file in a few Steps - RADACAD

Regards,

Tim

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@timg @Already I tried with uncheck the date/ time option and based on the client requirements, they don't want to remove any columns in the report.

Is there any possible way to reduce power bi size.?

Hi Sujith,

Most options will involve changing/optimizing your datamodel. If no columns can be removed you could still look at:

• reducing the number of rows in each table (e.g. instead of loading multiple years of data, just loading the current year)
  • If you have calculated columns, you could try moving those to Power query instead
  • Limit the number of unique values within columns that currently have many unique values (e.g. by grouping them in Power query or the source)

Regards,

Tim

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Sujith12345 ,

that can have many reasons.

Best approach is take DAX Studio, connect to your Power BI file and check the metrics with the vertipaq analyzer:

selimovd_0-1634051030065.png

When you get the result, take a look which columns take a lot of space, check if they have the right type. If you don't use them at all remove them from the data model. Like this you can go step by step to improve your file.

Also I highly recommend to read the article from Nikola Ilic, so much knowledge about that topic:

How to reduce your Power BI model size by 90%! - Data Mozart (data-mozart.com)

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

@selimovd @Already I tried with uncheck the date/ time option and based on the client requirements, they don't want to remove any columns in the report

Is there any possible way to reduce power bi size.?

Hey @Sujith12345 ,

did you also check if they have the proper format?

If they have all the right format and they don't want to remove any columns, then it will stay the same.

The only way you could try is to replace columns with measures. For example if a column is multiplying 2 other columns, you could replace it with a SUMX measure.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.