Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TimGab
Frequent Visitor

File recovery

Hi everyone,

I worked on my dashboard all day last Friday and forgot to save...

Today my laptops battery died and I only have the old version.

Does anyone have any suggestion for recovering the dashboard? I would appreciate all suggestions a lot!

Tim Gabriel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

That hurts. Normal Office applications have the autosave functionality. You could try going that route and see if you get lucky, but I don't see anything that indicates Power BI has this feature yet.

I do see other people wanting to see autosave become a feature though. You can add votes to the idea. I think I'll do the same. Autosave is one of those things you don't think about until you lose work without it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MicaelaTantum
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello, 

I know this post is abit old but I somehow stumble across this issue now and again. 

Pop this into your file location 

C:\Users\----your user name ----\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\TempSaves\

This brings up everything you have not saved.

2020-04-22 08-25-37_People bar flyout.png

🤗

DC682189

Good Morning All,

I spent an hour this morning trying to figure how to resolve this issue. Option A (below) did not work for me because I accidently deleted the recovery file.

Option A: (most common resolution)

1. Open Power BI Desktop instead of double-clicking the the corrupted pbix file's location
  2. Click File -> Open -> Select the corrupted pbix file
  3. You will see a yellow ribbon saying “open in autorecovery mode..” Click on it and the file will open with the version before it got corrupted.

Option B:

1. Open another pbix file on your computer.
    • a) If file does not open properly, uninstall PowerBI Desktop and reinstall
    • b) If file does open, proceed to Option C

Option C:

1. Open file explorer
  2. Locate the corrupted pbix file's location
  3. Right click the file -> click "Restore previous version"
  4. Select your version (typically, most recent), and open. 
  5. Do what you need and overwrite the file in its original location.

Restore Previous VersionsRestore Previous VersionsChoose Previous version and restoreChoose Previous version and restore

KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

That hurts. Normal Office applications have the autosave functionality. You could try going that route and see if you get lucky, but I don't see anything that indicates Power BI has this feature yet.

I do see other people wanting to see autosave become a feature though. You can add votes to the idea. I think I'll do the same. Autosave is one of those things you don't think about until you lose work without it.

TimGab
Frequent Visitor

Yupp, it is a painful "lesson learnt" moment.
As I was not able to find any kind of solution and I have reconstructed my old dashboard by now I will mark your reply as a solution so that eventual visitor vote for the idea as well.

KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@TimGab

Have you seen what's included with the August 2016 update?! Auto-recover Desktop Files

Auto recovered file by default with this new update will save in the following location for a Windows 10 machine:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AutoRecovery

Hi, 

Thanks for the hint. You saved me quite a lot of time. I already started buidling the report again).

Regards

Magomed.

Encountered a likewise problem, and the solution above wasn't the solution. Luckily, after following this (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47440276/where-to-find-pbix-file-after-server-shut-down-unexpect...) post, I could find a auto-recovered version. 

Hope this helps any people who encounter the same problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.