I am using PBI desktop June 2020 and worked on a large project (almost 3 weeks) for my organization. When i shared it with my colleague who uses a slighltly older version, he was unable to use my file (all my visuals are available in his version too). Now the problem is he cannot upgrade to June 2020 version in his office laptop due to organisation's policy/ lack of admin rights. Request powerbi support to please answer these questions:
1. How can i share this file in a way thats compatible in his version
2. If it cant be shared, then does it mean i have to roll back to his version and re-start the project again and work for weeks again?
3. If answer to Q2 is yes, then do you think every end user must know about the version of software their peers use before starting to work on any project? is that even practically possible?
I personally see this issue as a big gap, especially in large organizations like mine where thousands use powerbi. The software updates usually are deployed to batches of users at a time and runs over weeks/ months. This time gap casuses difference in versions used by various staff and hence users have been facing this issue consistently. Looking forward for your response. Thanks.
Hi @amitchandak, They seem to be similar posts like mine. But I couldnt find feasible solutions to my problem anywhere.
1. The first post suggests to upgrade to latest version
2. the other post is on installing third party software (non microsoft)
I have already mentioned in my posts that organizations do not provide admin right to users and hence we cannot install/ upgrade softwares. Is there a direct solution from Microsoft Powerbi team to this problem?
Thanks for your response. However i see this as a major concern when it comes to organizational usage of PowerBI. Every user will have his/her auto update schedules which is set only by their organization's IT dept. And under such circumstances, when a pbix file (created in latest version) is shared within (or between) organizations there is no medium left to share the file thats readable by the other party. This leads to
disruption of on time delivery of reports
thought of looking for an alternative tool altogether which doesnot have this drawback
and in my case option 2 is not an immediately available fix either. I simply dont know whether i should end up scrapping weeks of work. and i dont feel good about it.
I strongly urge you to consider this situation and provide a fix asap.