Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

balajimrb
Frequent Visitor

File is incompatible with current version

Hello PowerBI team,

I am using PBI desktop June 2020 and worked on a large project (almost 3 weeks) for my organization. When i shared it with my colleague who uses a slighltly older version, he was unable to use my file (all my visuals are available in his version too). Now the problem is he cannot upgrade to June 2020 version in his office laptop due to organisation's policy/ lack of admin rights. Request powerbi support to please answer these questions:

1. How can i share this file in a way thats compatible in his version

2. If it cant be shared, then does it mean i have to roll back to his version and re-start the project again and work for weeks again?

3. If answer to Q2 is yes, then do you think every end user must know about the version of software their peers use before starting to work on any project? is that even practically possible?

I personally see this issue as a big gap, especially in large organizations like mine where thousands use powerbi. The software updates usually are deployed to batches of users at a time and runs over weeks/ months. This time gap casuses difference in versions used by various staff and hence users have been facing this issue consistently. Looking forward for your response. Thanks.

balajimrb_0-1595825716969.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PowerBi me abre.PNGPowerBi no me abre.PNG

Hi, look i had the same problem, but I opened the file with second picture if you see the file type "Microsoft Power Bi Desktop Document", the problem presented but when I opened with first picture if you see the file type is different "Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop" all was ok. You can try this.

I hope this is util.

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @balajimrb ,

As you said, upgrading the desktop version is a way.

It could be pointed out that service is more convenient to work together than desktop. Usually, we work together on service.

You can also download this pbix from service.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-lianl-msft  I tried this method already. When the other party downloads pbix from service, he is facing the same error stating it was created using a different version.

Hi @balajimrb ,

Unfortunately, users can only update the version

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response. However i see this as a major concern when it comes to organizational usage of PowerBI. Every user will have his/her auto update schedules which is set only by their organization's IT dept. And under such circumstances, when a pbix file (created in latest version) is shared within (or between) organizations there is no medium left to share the file thats readable by the other party. This leads to

1. disruption of on time delivery of reports
  2. thought of looking for an alternative tool altogether which doesnot have this drawback
  3. and in my case option 2 is not an immediately available fix either. I simply dont know whether i should end up scrapping weeks of work. and i dont feel good about it.

I strongly urge you to consider this situation and provide a fix asap.

Hello

Very much in agreement with what you say. It has happened to me several times and I had to migrate my report to other platforms: If only Power Bi had a Cloud platform, it would be great. Apart from that, that the versions are compatible with previous versions.

Best regards!

Hi @amitchandak, They seem to be similar posts like mine. But I couldnt find feasible solutions to my problem anywhere.

1. The first post suggests to upgrade to latest version

2. the other post is on installing third party software (non microsoft)

I have already mentioned in my posts that organizations do not provide admin right to users and hence we cannot install/ upgrade softwares. Is there a direct solution from Microsoft Powerbi team to this problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.