Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

azitony
Regular Visitor

File contains corrupted data

Hi

Previously, PowerBI Desktop was working very smoothly.

Today, when I stared the application, I got this message "File contains corrupted data". I googled for the reason and got that this is due to using customized chart. Indeed, Yesterday I was learning how to use custom map chart.

My problem is that I could not find a solution for this Issue; I tried to repair even reinstall the application but it did not work.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @azitony,

1. Please delete your desktop firstly.

2. Delete the Cache and CEF folders in the paths as below.

C:\Users\username\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop

3. Reinstall your Power BI desktop and try again.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Have tried all the step by removing the password from the source excel file , removed 2 app/data files & reinstalled the desktop and still havin the same error message. 

All my 6 source file are exactly the same format & formula but only 2 files that repressenting this year are having the error message . seems bit weired . did i done something wrong somewhere ? is there a way to fix this ?

Thanks 

I had the same issue.  In your source file go to File -> Info -> Check for Issues and click Inspect Document.

Nbrown25_0-1657809902209.png

Leave default selections in the following screen and click “Inspect”

Nbrown25_1-1657809919754.png

My specific issue was due to custom XML data but hopefully the tool will catch it if you have a different but similar issue.

Nbrown25_2-1657809959230.png

FaithMonax
Regular Visitor

I also had the [File contains corrupted data] issue.

It seems PowerBI was not able to Get Data from an XL file with a password.

After removing said password, it works for me. In case this is useful to anyone 🙂

Pepok_14
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I had same problems with several excel files. I tried all mentioned steps from this topic, but without success. I have tried to remove workbook protection "Restrict access (Highly confidential)" in my case and now it works. I'm able to connect from Power BI to excel without error msg. Maybe this advice helps someone.

Peter

@Pepok_14 

Thanks for mentioning.  I had same error message - I have changed some permissions and refresh is working now.

Brendan

ravelezp
Regular Visitor

The solution that you proposed is not working. We deleted the files and reinstall them but its still showing an error. We had to delete the model's tables and reconnect them to the origins. Our heavy files 05 databases are in Excel, saved in SharePoint and from this origin connected to Power BI, however they update without a problem from the web based Power BI, but from Power BI Desktop some update and some don't

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since last saturday the file didn't refresh, it is showing as File contains corrupted data. Tried to refresht the file from other users desktop but with of NO help it showing up the same error.

Not sure of the reason, kindly advice how can this be fixed so the dashboard can be refreshed again.

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @azitony,

1. Please delete your desktop firstly.

2. Delete the Cache and CEF folders in the paths as below.

C:\Users\username\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App

3. Reinstall your Power BI desktop and try again.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

I closed Power BI Desktop, cleared the cache and launched Power BI Desktop again. That worked for me. No need to uninstall and reinstall Power BI Desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

By deleting you mean uninstalling ?

I did that twice, deleting the contentend from the 2 folders and still get the same issue after reinstalling....

Hello,

You can try to reintall in another path and see if it works.

B.R.

Lily

Anonymous
Not applicable

so this happens whenever we use custom visuals? 

Hi @v-frfei-msft,

When i upgraded the pbi desktop this month, this issue occured to me. I tried to delete the folders you mentioned and reinstalled pbi desktop, but it not work. What shall I do to fix it?

Best Regards,

I tired to reinstalled it in another path, the problem fixed. It seems some files cause this problem in the old folder.

Great worked for me.

Of note you do have to rename the path names "username" with your username for example C:\Users\JOEBLOGGS\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App

Ian

Dear @iandpike

I changed the username to mine, and when I reinstalled the program, it worked fine.

The problem is once I activate shape map visual, PowerBI request for a restart to the program, after the restart, I receive the same error message.

Have I done anything wrong and can I do anything solve this issue.

Best regards,

Hi

Sorry, my issue seemed the same, but reinstalled app based on above when I was getting the corrupt file message and now working okay.

Not seen the issue with the map, only my Power BI Desktop (via Store) and thats working okay now.

Ian

Dear @v-frfei-msft

Thank you for your reply.

The first folder "C:\Users\username\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App" wasn't exicst on my PC.

I deleted the mentioned folders from the scond one and power BI worked.

But when I added shape map again and restarted the program, the Issue returned.

Best regards,

Hi @azitony,

Could you find the paths then?

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI

Then delete all the folders in the both paths and reinstall the Power BI desktop.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.