Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shamatix
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Figured it out, thank you.

Hey fellow users of Power BI,

I have spent far to many days trying to recreate a BI report from another BI software into Power BI . But I simply cant understand or figure out how I can get my many to many relationships to work as they do in my other BI program.

I currently have 11 tables, but let's focus on two of em. I sadly do not have any unique column, therefor I have combined to columns in each table to get a somewhat unique value, then I have made a bridge table with the two combined columns and removed all the duplicates and changed the format from any to text. Whenever I try to drag either table 1 or 2 over to my bridged table I get the following error message:

But I have removed all the duplicates... I would REALLY love for someone to take a look over a skype session and explain to me how I can fix this issue... I really dont mind paying as I have spent to many hours trying to figure this one out.

Skype: Snaske2 and as said I really dont mind paying for getting my relationships build up correctly...

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks a lot for the answer however I have solved that issue with a couple of other ppl on this forum, apparently there is 2x bugs in Power Bi.

If you remove dublicates with the "Remove Dublicate" function in power bi, and there is 2x values as follows: abc123 and ABC123, the "Remove Dublicate" function sees these 2 values as two different values, however when you create the relationship it says there is dublicates, so the 2 functions is defining dublicates differently and lets say you have the value ABCINSERTSPACEHERE and ABC, it's the same for this, the remove dublicates sees em as being different cus there is a space at the end, however when you try create a relationship it says its dublicates.

Anyways thanks for the answer, appreciated a lot, would love to have you on skype: Snaske2 if possible, as you seem like a power user in Power Bi .

Best regards Shamatix

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@Shamatix

Hi,

The error message is very clear, so let's get start from here. Maybe something was wrong when you created the bridge table. Please try this formula to create the table called "BridgeTable" here. The "BridgeTable" should have unique values from two tables. Then you can try create relationship again.

BridgeTable =
DISTINCT (
        UNION ( VALUES ( 'Table1'[column] ), VALUES ( 'Table2'[column] ) )
)

Figured it out, thank you.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks a lot for the answer however I have solved that issue with a couple of other ppl on this forum, apparently there is 2x bugs in Power Bi.

If you remove dublicates with the "Remove Dublicate" function in power bi, and there is 2x values as follows: abc123 and ABC123, the "Remove Dublicate" function sees these 2 values as two different values, however when you create the relationship it says there is dublicates, so the 2 functions is defining dublicates differently and lets say you have the value ABCINSERTSPACEHERE and ABC, it's the same for this, the remove dublicates sees em as being different cus there is a space at the end, however when you try create a relationship it says its dublicates.

Anyways thanks for the answer, appreciated a lot, would love to have you on skype: Snaske2 if possible, as you seem like a power user in Power Bi .

Best regards Shamatix

@Shamatix

I’ve got response from the Product Team.

This is currently by design. AS Engine used in Desktop is case-insensitive.

Best Regards,
Herbert

@Shamatix

Hi,

It's my pleasure. I am so glad you get it done.

Could you please mark your answer as a solution? That would be a big help to others. The bugs will be fixed if they are verified.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you post the pbix?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

I'll in all seriousness send you 100$ if you can help me out over skype on how I can rebuild my BI diagram from this other BI solution into power BI... It's mainly just the relationships I am struggling with =/

Have you tried to find the duplicates? create a table in the visualization canvas and drag your bridge column in twice then set the aggregation on one of the columns to Count, sort by the counted column in descending fashion; then remove the duplicate. Could also be that you have a null and an empty string

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

I guess you mean like this?

It only goes up to 1 so I guess there aint a value twice?

I would have made a table, not a chart but yes. without the .pbix file this one is a mystery. Hopefully one of the consultants out there can help you. 

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Sadly not as I cant have this data out in the open, so again, prefer someone over skype I can trust, begging you vanessa:)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.