Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Field formatting fail with a single record

Hey All,

I have this strange issue.

I have a field formating based on another field.

All works fine, except for 1 record.

Any ideas whats going on here?
2019-06-26 14_24_01-papercut - Remote Desktop Connection.png2019-06-26 14_18_33-papercut - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Thanks
A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Root cause: Duplicated record!
All fields were identical, except for the primary key of course.

Power BI will not load duplicate records to the view by default. Apparently, it has some other issues with duplications. As we noticed here, formatting issues.

Thanks!
A

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Root cause: Duplicated record!
All fields were identical, except for the primary key of course.

Power BI will not load duplicate records to the view by default. Apparently, it has some other issues with duplications. As we noticed here, formatting issues.

Thanks!
A

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test, I cannot reproduce your issue here using Power BI desktop version : 2.71.5523.361 64-bit (July 2019). Could you please update your Power BI desktop to check again. If the issue still occure, kindly share your sample pbix to me if you don't have any confidential information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Because the value for that record is returning a blank (no data being returned) it is not applying the formatting.  You are saying "Format this based on that" but on the record you are pointing to there is no "This".

Right but you are formatting the review date and on the row there is no review date to format.  Try this, apply the same formatting to the [Days To Review] column and that row should format correctly in the [Days To Review] column.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @jdbuchanan71 

Thanks again.

The value is there. Just the font colour is white, so cannot see it.

The value in days to review is based on this date value. if it was blank, I would have got blank value or 0.

Here it is when I am pointing with my mouse at it.

Untitled.png

And again when formatted to pink

2019-06-26 16_23_21-papercut - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Cheers!
A

Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied the same on the days to review column, and have the same issue.

Robot Mad

2019-06-26 16_27_15-papercut - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Hello @Anonymous .

Thank you for the test, sorry I led you down the wrong path.  Is there any other formatting applied to that column?  You have the text as white, maybe the same rule that is applying the white text is also applying a white background?  If so and that rule is applied after the color coding rule the it would change it to white.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @jdbuchanan71 

No worries mate. My screenshot might have been misleading.

I have formatted all fonts to be white, without any condition.

Anyhow, I found the root cause. I will post it shortly.

Cheers!
A

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @jdbuchanan71 

@jdbuchanan71 wrote:

Because the value for that record is returning a blank (no data being returned) it is not applying the formatting.  You are saying "Format this based on that" but on the record you are pointing to there is no "This".

Not sure I get you.

The format is based on the value in 'Days to Review' column. The value there is 269.

So there is a value. Or I did not understand?!
Thanks!
A

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.