Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoeMama
Frequent Visitor

Field Parameters not working with Dates or Date Tables

Hi All,

I've set up Field Parameters but whenever I try to use them versus a Date on a visual everything goes blank.

I need to plot Weather variables over time, and the customer would like to choose between different weather parameters (wind, humidity, etc.)  Perfect for Field Parameters, right? No.

Plotting directly using weather parameters vs. Dates all works fine.  When I use those same fields as field parameters, the visual remains blank, no matter what I try.  I know the F.P. works, because when I plot one vs. the other (i.e., humidiy vs. location). It works.

It only blanks when plotted vs. Date (either vs. the Date Table I created and connected, or even from within its own table using Date).  I've tried everything I can think of: from relationships, to visuals, to x/y field parameters seperate.

Please Help!  Thank you so much.params2.jpgparams1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoeMama
Frequent Visitor

I solved it!!!

It turns out it is an inherent limitation in Field parameters.  I read the documentation from Microsoft a million times, but I just didn't understand one of the limitations:

You can't use implicit measures for now, so if you need an aggregated column as one of your fields, you need to create an explicit DAX measure for it.

In hindsight it's pretty clear.  You can not use a regular column of data in Field Parameters.  As I understand it now, you must always use measures, even for "simple" column summarizations (like Average, Sum, etc.)

Using the Measures only in the Field Parameters makes everything work just fine.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JoeMama
Frequent Visitor

I solved it!!!

It turns out it is an inherent limitation in Field parameters.  I read the documentation from Microsoft a million times, but I just didn't understand one of the limitations:

You can't use implicit measures for now, so if you need an aggregated column as one of your fields, you need to create an explicit DAX measure for it.

In hindsight it's pretty clear.  You can not use a regular column of data in Field Parameters.  As I understand it now, you must always use measures, even for "simple" column summarizations (like Average, Sum, etc.)

Using the Measures only in the Field Parameters makes everything work just fine.

Thanks for this. Oddly enough regular columns work fine with tables or cards, but not any of the more "visual" visuals. So I thought I was just really doing something wrong.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.