Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnandRanga
Helper III
Helper III

Fetching data using data feed from NAV 2016 and setup a refresh schedule ?

I need to create a dashboard in Power BI from NAV data. In that I need to fetch the data from NAV web service and need to update the dashboard on daily basis. The data is huge actually, So my queries are that :

1) Is power BI is right solution for huge data as I read somewhere that it is not able to handle huge data.

2) Is there incremental load in power BI, so that when I will schedule a refresh it should refresh only data that is not available in        power BI? Can I use incremental load type thing in power BI using some alternate way ?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AnandRanga,

Adding to others’ post, some ideas about incremental load and incremental refresh have been submitted in the following links, please vote them up.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7288623-incremental-data-loads
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/14594856-add-incremental-updates-...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@AnandRanga - Hi, I work as a BI Consultant at a NAV vendor and we build our own Power BI models on top of NAV data. I would always use the SQL Database as the source for the models instead of using the Web Service (I take it that you mean OData when you refer to the Web Service) because fetching data through OData can be very slow.

You say that you have huge data - what is huge data to you? How many rows are in the biggest table that you need to add to your model?

If you are interested you can see one of the models we build on top of a NAV demo database here: (The model is developed in Danish) NORRIQ Power BI Accelerator - Sales

/sdjensen
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There are 3 content packs for NAV in Power BI. You can import up to 10GB of data into Power BI and you also have some Direct Query options for really huge datesets. There is no incremental load in Power BI yet.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.