Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FatherTheWizard
Resolver I
Resolver I

Fetch data from same table different rows

Hello,

My problem is quite easy but I cannot find a solution. In Excel the green columns would do the the trick for the first part of the problem:

I have in Power Query (BI) the following as a table containing only the yellow columns. With Excel formulas I can quite easily fetch the helper columns (two custom columns + department type) and the result columns (team name, company name, area name). Results columns are the ones that I would like to have but I currently have only one column (row name) which contains department info that can be on different levels (team, company or area). In Excel 'custom columns' are fetched using index match from id & parent id columns. Department type fetched from 'row name' column (if row contains team, company or area). 

How can I do the same in query?

Capture.PNG

The formulas for the above:

ID=K column, row name = L etc.

FormulaFormulaFormulaFormulaFormulaFormula
idparent idrow namecustom column: parent nameCustom column: parent name 2Department typeTeam nameCompany nameArea name
12Team 1=INDEX(L:L;MATCH(K5;J:J;0))=INDEX(M:M;MATCH(M5;L:L;0))=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("team";L5));"Team";IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("company";L5));"Company";"Area"))=IF(O5="Team";L5;"")=IF(O5="Team";M5;IF(O5="company";L5;""))=IF(O5="Team";N5;IF(O5="company";M5;L5))
23Company 1=INDEX(L:L;MATCH(K6;J:J;0))=INDEX(M:M;MATCH(M6;L:L;0))=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("team";L6));"Team";IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("company";L6));"Company";"Area"))=IF(O6="Team";L6;"")=IF(O6="Team";M6;IF(O6="company";L6;""))=IF(O6="Team";N6;IF(O6="company";M6;L6))
34Area 1=INDEX(L:L;MATCH(K7;J:J;0))=INDEX(M:M;MATCH(M7;L:L;0))=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("team";L7));"Team";IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("company";L7));"Company";"Area"))=IF(O7="Team";L7;"")=IF(O7="Team";M7;IF(O7="company";L7;""))=IF(O7="Team";N7;IF(O7="company";M7;L7))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I solved this by myself using simply conditional columns and merge of columns. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FatherTheWizard
Resolver I
Resolver I

Any ideas? Can this be done with measures or new columns or should I do some kind of merging? Any help highly appreciated. I can also provide additional info if needed.

I solved this by myself using simply conditional columns and merge of columns. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors