Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

musicbydannyd
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

February 2020 Desktop Update?

Hi all,

I have PBI Desktop download link bookmarked (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494), which lists "version 2.78.5740.721, date published 02/18/2020", however... version downloaded is 2.76.5678.782 (December 2019).

I've been reluctant to install February 2020 gateway after hearing of connection problems and was going to wait until desktop was in sync.

Anyone else have this issue or a new/different download link?

TIA, Danny

40 REPLIES 40

@Watsky Tried it 5 minutes ago, unfortunately , stille the same error. Reinstalled the december version for the moment and that's working fine

It seems like we're all downloading from different servers depending on where we live. That's the only way this makes sense. 

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

Is this going to hose pbix reports that were created in earlier versions, like others have mentioned here?

I'm encountering the same behavior. Sadly the store workaround doesn't work for us since we host a few instances of Power BI Desktop on servers since it requires some resource processing. Whenever I hit the East coast CDN it keeps providing me with the old December install.

This issue is NOT resolved for me. Just downloaded from MS website and still only get the Dec 2019 update and options to repair or remove. As of 2/19/20 @ 9:45 EST.

cSalkhanov
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have an issue with this update too:

Can't open any of the reports I've created in earlier versions of PBI Desktop (Dec 2019), error message says: "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model". Reinstalling didn't help.

I have the same issue if trying to open any of my Power BI files: "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model".

Version: 2.78.5740.721 64-bit (February 2020)

I have the same issue

I have exactly the same issue after this update, I cannot open any reports, even after creating a new (blank) report and saving it, I'm unable to reopen it. I get the error: "We weren't able to restore the saved database to the model"

what i've tried so far: 

- repair

- reset

- reinstall

- uninstall and install from windows store instead of desktop version msi file

- uninstall, manually remove user Appdata folders related to powerbi + remove any keys related to powerbi from registry, reinstall

Nothing has worked so I'm eagerly waiting for any solutions!

If possible, can somebody share the december version installer?

@erceve 

I haven't found an official source so I uploaded my December installer to WeTransfer:
https://we.tl/t-Z3wMC8kclr

@cSalkhanov  Thanks a lot! I'll try and see whether this works!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi All,

It seems like the issue been fixed before 3:20 am Wednesday, 19 February 2020(UTC), please download the last version on the official site to confirm if the release has published to your regions.

14.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I downloaded the last version (tried 2 different languages) on the official site and only got the repair option. Issue seems not to be fixed.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Same issue here, the download is not updated yet. It is still downloading a 279MB file (while the download options say it's 292MB). 

image.png

Kim Manis (Power BI Product Team) confirms that the download may take a while to be propagated to all locations:

image.png

Still eagerly waiting for the February update! 😀

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Just wanted to confirm the statement from @v-shex-msft is true, I got 2 downloads for 2 different regions and they are different. First download (work region) was only asking for repair (since its the same version which is Dec 2019), and tried it on my local region and its updated to Feb 2020.

@v-shex-msft wrote:

Hi All,

It seems like the issue been fixed before 3:20 am Wednesday, 19 February 2020(UTC), please download the last version on the official site to confirm if the release has published to your regions.

14.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

*PBIDesktopSetup_x64_1 = Dec 2019

Update Feb 2020.png

Leonid_Kostin
Advocate I
Advocate I

My desktop version was updated several hours ago automatically from Microsoft Store. From "About" section of Power BI Desktop: Version: 2.78.5740.721 64-bit (February 2020).

Interesting that there is no official word about this release. Also I am facing lots of errors during loading my old DQ reports. The error messages say "Something went wrong" and pop up many times. Where can I find December 2019 version because I can't work like this.

It has been my observation that release highlights tend to lag quite a few hours behind the actual update.

@Leonid_Kostin ,I have the December 2019 msi installer... let me know if/how you'd like me to share.

Danny

@musicbydannydmany thanks for your comment!

If possible, could you please upload it somewhere for some time? I will download it  as soon as possible and reinstall on my local PC.

This phenomena happens next to the release date. There was a version in Feb/15, which also pronpted to repair. This one never happen to work. Then they released the Feb/18. This one installed normally.

It is like they just touched the file and it got a new date (Feb/15) but it was the same released in December/2019, that's why it asks to repair.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had the same issue. The installer I downloaded didn't promt the usual 'Update' message but instead asked if I wanted to repair an existing installation. Did that and the version number still reads 2.76.something.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.