Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GMikula
Regular Visitor

Fast aggregation of a field is not working.

Some of the options that were available for aggregating a field in PowerBi Desktop like:

• Sum. 

• Average. 

• Minimum.

• Maximum. 

• Count (Not Blanks).

• Count (Distinct). 

• Standard deviation.

• Variance.

• Median

• Do not summarize

Are not there anymore. Any idea what happened? If I use almost the same model from a month ago it is there and if I use the one that was updated in last 3 weeks I am not able to use any of those on any field.

The only options that are available are:

Remove field

Rename

Move

Conditional formatting

New quick measure

Show items with no data

New group

I must admit that using aggregation from that menu was extremly helpful and I would really like to get that back.

Problem with aggregation.jpg

And just a quick update. If I use earlier version of that model, from a month ago, it looks like that:

GMikula_0-1594679876613.png

10 REPLIES 10
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you using Calculated Groups? These disable implicit aggregations by default. See this thread for more information 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Tabular-Editor-Calculation-groups/m-p/1283596#M561212 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

There seems to be an interesting semantic battle between "Discourage Implicit Measures"  which is required to be set true in Tabular Editor to make Calculation Groups work, and "Disable Implicit Measures"  which is not really mentioned or confirmed in the documentation.  Supposedly implicit measures would still work but only for the columns that are not used in the Calculation Group definitions ?

I would say that the term "Discourage" is a more polite form for "You will definitely not be able to...". 

According to the documentation:

"A new model property visible in the Tabular Object Model (TOM) has been introduced, DiscourageImplicitMeasures. Currently, in order to create calculation groups this property must be set to true. When set to true, Power BI Desktop in Live Connect mode disables creation of implicit measures."

Which basically means they are turned off for the whole model it would seem.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@GMikula , if you right-click of measure, you will not get that option, as it is pre-aggregated, Also for test data type only max, min, first, last and count are applicable

These are not measures.

I do know that I won't get every aggregation possible on every data field. Depending on type it could be only some of them. But right now I do not get any as shown on 2 screenshots. On both of them it is the same field and on top I can't use any and on lower I do have that option. It is true for any value I use, regardless of type. The only difference I know - upper version is from last week, lower from a month ago.

Best regards

Hi @GMikula ,

What version of powerbi is the in upper one?

I'm using this version and it works fine.

1.PNG

Are you using same pbix? Did you find same situation in other pbix?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

I have this version:

Version: 2.82.5858.1161 64-bit (June 2020)

Strange thing is it works in other pbix, when for instance I create new or use the same file but from month ago (and way less developed than this one). 

Funny thing is I found in this pbix some older tab where there actually is aggregation (FLIGHT_MIN is a simple numerical column) but when I try to change it I can't. Also if I  remove it and use exactly the same field I can't make it again as average.

GMikula_0-1594744526113.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

These aggregation require the field to be one of the numeric types.

I don't get any aggregations at all, regardless of field type. Even on text I should have (and I used to have) some of them available as shown on bottom screenshot

Have you fixed that problem? I see have same: can't see fast aggegation options for the numeric field in the model..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.