cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Fast aggregation of a field is not working.

Some of the options that were available for aggregating a field in PowerBi Desktop like:

• Sum. 

• Average. 

• Minimum.

• Maximum. 

• Count (Not Blanks).

• Count (Distinct). 

• Standard deviation.

• Variance.

• Median

• Do not summarize

Are not there anymore. Any idea what happened? If I use almost the same model from a month ago it is there and if I use the one that was updated in last 3 weeks I am not able to use any of those on any field.

The only options that are available are:

Remove field

Rename

Move

Conditional formatting

New quick measure

Show items with no data

New group

I must admit that using aggregation from that menu was extremly helpful and I would really like to get that back.

Problem with aggregation.jpg

And just a quick update. If I use earlier version of that model, from a month ago, it looks like that:

GMikula_0-1594679876613.png

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Fast aggregation of a field is not working.

These aggregation require the field to be one of the numeric types.

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@GMikula , if you right-click of measure, you will not get that option, as it is pre-aggregated, Also for test data type only max, min, first, last and count are applicable

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
My Recent Blog -Week is not so Weak Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

These are not measures.

I do know that I won't get every aggregation possible on every data field. Depending on type it could be only some of them. But right now I do not get any as shown on 2 screenshots. On both of them it is the same field and on top I can't use any and on lower I do have that option. It is true for any value I use, regardless of type. The only difference I know - upper version is from last week, lower from a month ago.

Best regards

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I don't get any aggregations at all, regardless of field type. Even on text I should have (and I used to have) some of them available as shown on bottom screenshot

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GMikula ,

What version of powerbi is the in upper one?

I'm using this version and it works fine.

1.PNG

Are you using same pbix? Did you find same situation in other pbix?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have this version:

Version: 2.82.5858.1161 64-bit (June 2020)

Strange thing is it works in other pbix, when for instance I create new or use the same file but from month ago (and way less developed than this one). 

Funny thing is I found in this pbix some older tab where there actually is aggregation (FLIGHT_MIN is a simple numerical column) but when I try to change it I can't. Also if I  remove it and use exactly the same field I can't make it again as average.

GMikula_0-1594744526113.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors