Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hyperchef1969
Helper V
Helper V

Failure with calculating subcategory sum

Hi,

I am trying to calculate a value sum for a subcategory. There is a relationship on item ID from table OBSOLETE to table ITEMS. 

ART_GROUP_OBS_VALUE_NEW = CALCULATE(SUM(XXBI_OBSOLETE_ITEMS_V[GROSS_VALUE_NEW]),XXBI_ITEMS_MV[WEIR_OP_ARTICLE_GROUP_NAME]).

After this calculation I get an error message "Can't display the visual". Couldn't load the data for this visual. ORA-01722 invalid number: The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

However changing the calculation to a specific subcategory (e.g. Frame) works, so I do not understand why it does not work for all subcategories.

This formula works!

ART_GROUP_VALUE_NEW = CALCULATE(SUM(XXBI_OBSOLETE_ITEMS_V[GROSS_VALUE_NEW]),XXBI_ITEMS_MV[WEIR_OP_ARTICLE_GROUP_NAME]="Frame")

Regards and thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hyperchef1969,

Maybe you can try to use following formula calculate summary value based on current subcategory:

ART_GROUP_VALUE_NEW =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( XXBI_OBSOLETE_ITEMS_V[GROSS_VALUE_NEW] ),
    VALUES ( XXBI_ITEMS_MV[WEIR_OP_ARTICLE_GROUP_NAME] )
)

If above not help, can you please share some sample data for test?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hyperchef1969,

Maybe you can try to use following formula calculate summary value based on current subcategory:

ART_GROUP_VALUE_NEW =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( XXBI_OBSOLETE_ITEMS_V[GROSS_VALUE_NEW] ),
    VALUES ( XXBI_ITEMS_MV[WEIR_OP_ARTICLE_GROUP_NAME] )
)

If above not help, can you please share some sample data for test?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Hyperchef1969 Try to create as as measure if you want to see the total sum for each subcategory. Or if you want to store the total sum values for each subcategory then try to use SUMMARIZE function.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Hi,

To my opinion this is a measure. Question is why it does not work for all subcategories but only for a specific subcategory such as "frame". Most helpful would be a calculation which can calculate total value for each subcategory.

@Hyperchef1969 If it is a Measure you are looking for and all the relationships are in place, then use SUM(XXBI_OBSOLETE_ITEMS_V[GROSS_VALUE_NEW])

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.