Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Patto
Helper II
Helper II

Failed to save modifications to the server when calling API

Hi everyone

I am getting the following error when I click "Apply Now" in power query.

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Expression in partition 'n/a' in table 'n/a' references an unknown entity.

I have an advanced query I wrote that works perfectly in power query until I hit the apply button to go back to my report.

The query calls an API and using paging to get all the data before constructing my final table.

Does anyone know what this error is?

Thanks

Patto 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar problem and fix it to solve it NOT using the feaure preview "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format"

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
RobertSlattery
Resolver III
Resolver III

I had the same problem and none of the suggested solutions worked.  I found that I had some nasty anti-patterns, where I had a calculated table having a relationship to a table included in the calculation.  When I refactored to eliminate that, the problem disappeared.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unforturnatley turning off the preview feature didnt fix the issue for me with desktop version May 2020.

I'm doing something similar where I'm applying a custom function to a column in a table that returns more rows.  I most likely will have to resort to using Python

I am experiencing the same issue but have narrowed it down to the following. If I replace the text of the web path "https://www.examplesite.com/testfile.xls" with a function fnPathFile does this dynamically then I get the error. Any ideas would be helpful

Web.Contents("https://www.examplesite.com/testfile.xls")

Web.Contents(fnPathFile)

fnPathFile returns: https://www.examplesite.com/testfile.xls

jacschZA
Advocate I
Advocate I

I had the same issue, but was nothing mentioned above, but then realised that the 'partition' relates to incremental refresh. (thanks to Daniel Otykier videos on Tabular Editor!) Once I removed the incremental refresh policies on all the tables, it allowed the Query to be applied successfully!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar problem and fix it to solve it NOT using the feaure preview "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format"

Same Problem. It was the solution. Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ian_teoh,

Thanks a lot for the solution, this is working perfectly.

File 

Options

Options and Settings 

Options

Preview Features 

uncheck "Store datasets using the enhanced metadata format".

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was the solution. the same problem Thank you

Perfect, champion that was it!
Phew, thats been driving me nuts - hopefully the Power BI team take that on board to fix that preview feature going forward.

Cheers

Thanks for replying but unfortunately neither of these solutions helped in my case.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Hi @Patto ,

Could you please provide the source code for every query in Advanced Editor? Is there any warning icon in front of every query? Need to check the data source of every query, and if they refer any invalid data...

advanced editor.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft 

Thanks for replying, please find my advanced query below (I XXXXX'd out my apikey and Url):

You could basically do the same thing with any paged api call.

let 
BaseUrl = "https://api.XXXXXXXXX.com/v1/bookings?",
EntitiesPerPage = 10,

GetJson = (Url) =>
let Options = [Headers=[apiKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"]],
RawData = Web.Contents(Url, Options),
Json = Json.Document(RawData)
in Json,

GetEntityCount = () =>
let Count = 20
in Count,

GetPage = (Index) =>
let Offset = "&offset=" & Text.From(Index * EntitiesPerPage),
Limit = "&limit=" & Text.From(EntitiesPerPage),
Url = BaseUrl & Offset & "&" & Limit,
Json = GetJson(Url),
Value = Json[#"bookings"]
in Value,

EntityCount = List.Max({ EntitiesPerPage, GetEntityCount() }),
PageCount = Number.RoundUp(EntityCount / EntitiesPerPage),
PageIndices = { 0 .. PageCount - 1 },
Pages = List.Transform(PageIndices, each GetPage(_)),
Entities = List.Union(Pages),
Table = Table.FromList(Entities, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Table, "Column1", {"orderNumber", "status", "supplierId", "supplierName", "supplierAlias", "createdBy", "customer", "items", "totalAmount", "totalCurrency", "totalPaid", "totalDue", "dateCreated", "dateConfirmed", "datePaid", "comments", "internalNotes", "payments", "fields", "source", "sourceChannel", "resellerComments", "vouchers", "resellerReference"}, {"Column1.orderNumber", "Column1.status", "Column1.supplierId", "Column1.supplierName", "Column1.supplierAlias", "Column1.createdBy", "Column1.customer", "Column1.items", "Column1.totalAmount", "Column1.totalCurrency", "Column1.totalPaid", "Column1.totalDue", "Column1.dateCreated", "Column1.dateConfirmed", "Column1.datePaid", "Column1.comments", "Column1.internalNotes", "Column1.payments", "Column1.fields", "Column1.source", "Column1.sourceChannel", "Column1.resellerComments", "Column1.vouchers", "Column1.resellerReference"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

Cheers

Hi @Patto ,

I just came across this same problem when just messing around with some public info with the below M script. Not sure why this erroring as it loads the data ok in power query. Sorry I can't answer your problem but maybe someone can answer this one which may be the same as your problem.

let
    Now1 = DateTime.LocalNow(),
    Date1 = DateTime.ToText(Now1,"yyy-MM-dd"),
    Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-geographic-disbtribution-worldwide-" & Date1 & ".xlsx"), null, true),
    #"COVID-19-geographic-disbtributi_Sheet" = Source{[Item="COVID-19-geographic-disbtributi",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"COVID-19-geographic-disbtributi_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"DateRep", type date}, {"Day", Int64.Type}, {"Month", Int64.Type}, {"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Cases", Int64.Type}, {"Deaths", Int64.Type}, {"Countries and territories", type text}, {"GeoId", type text}, {"Pop_Data.2018", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Pop_Data.2018", "Pop_Data_2018"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Thanks @gooranga1 
Yeah as per above, the issue was a bug in one of the preview features I had turned on.
As soon as I turned it off, all was well in the world.
Cheers

I am also seeing the same problem.  This really looks & feels like a bug.

This query works:

let
    //textmonth=Number.ToText(3),
    yesterday="0"&"3"&"-26-2020",
    url="https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19/master/csse_covid_19_data/csse_covid_19_daily_reports/"&yesterday&".csv",
    Source = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(url),[Delimiter=",", Columns=12, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Promoted Headers", "Custom", each yesterday),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"FIPS", Int64.Type}, {"Admin2", type text}, {"Province_State", type text}, {"Country_Region", type text}, {"Last_Update", type datetime}, {"Lat", type number}, {"Long_", type number}, {"Confirmed", Int64.Type}, {"Deaths", Int64.Type}, {"Recovered", Int64.Type}, {"Active", Int64.Type}, {"Combined_Key", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

This following query results in an error.  Note that I replaced "3" with textmonth which equals Number.ToText(3).  This query should yeild an identical result but it actually results in an error.

let
    textmonth=Number.ToText(3),
    yesterday="0"&textmonth&"-26-2020",
    url="https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19/master/csse_covid_19_data/csse_covid_19_daily_reports/"&yesterday&".csv",
    Source = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(url),[Delimiter=",", Columns=12, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Promoted Headers", "Custom", each yesterday),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"FIPS", Int64.Type}, {"Admin2", type text}, {"Province_State", type text}, {"Country_Region", type text}, {"Last_Update", type datetime}, {"Lat", type number}, {"Long_", type number}, {"Confirmed", Int64.Type}, {"Deaths", Int64.Type}, {"Recovered", Int64.Type}, {"Active", Int64.Type}, {"Combined_Key", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Likegooranga1, the preview loads fine.  It is once I close the query editor and attempt to refresh data that I see the same error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.