Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Failed to save modifications to the server - cannot even load/apply the simplest dataset

I've been working with Power BI both server and desktop for a while now, more than a year. Suddenly I can't get even the simplest dataset to load or an app that have been working earlier. Whenever I try to apply and load a dataset a command window for "SQLDUMPER" appears and I get the error message attached.

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected exception occurred. A connection could not be made to the data source with the Name of ...."

I've tried several installs and reinstalls of power BI desktop, even on the secondary drive.

On this forum I've seen this case when it comes to Share point sources but it doesn't seem to apply in my case.

I've tried to change the timeout period in the options as stated in a response to the earlier posts on the forum without success.

I'm thinking that there is a recent installation for another application on the system messing with Power BI. Thinking that perhaps it's the local installation of SQL server but I've tried reparing that one also without success.

I can't interpret the logs to anything meaningful but if you like to try they're shared in this link together with the error message and the simplest possible app I've tried loading

Shared onedrive folder

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to start from scratch and install the OS again. Now a few hours later everything works good. Probably something wierd with how the old system had become over time.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

The PBIX file you shared via OneDrive works well in my environment. Do you get errors when you install Power BI Desktop in a different machine?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I can work without a problem on different machines except from this specific one which is kind of a problem because it's my work machine. The example file is just to illustrate how simple reports I'm trying to load.

This problem just came from nowhere a month ago or so. Prior to that everything worked well.

@Anonymous,

The issue should be related to the machine you currently run Power BI Desktop, please send a Frown.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot find the "frown emoji" anymore in power BI. Can you guide me in any way to where it is? It's not in the error message as far as I can see.

@Anonymous,

If the send a frown button doesn't appear in the error message window, please open a support ticket on the support.powerbi.com site. 

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to start from scratch and install the OS again. Now a few hours later everything works good. Probably something wierd with how the old system had become over time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been working with Power BI both server and desktop for a while now, more than a year. Suddenly I can't get even the simplest dataset to load or an app that have been working earlier. Whenever I try to apply and load a dataset a command window for "SQLDUMPER" appears and I get the error message attached.

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected exception occurred. A connection could not be made to the data source with the Name of ...."

I've tried several installs and reinstalls of power BI desktop, even on the secondary drive.

On this forum I've seen this case when it comes to Share point sources but it doesn't seem to apply in my case.

I've tried to change the timeout period in the options as stated in a response to the earlier posts on the forum without success.

I'm thinking that there is a recent installation for another application on the system messing with Power BI. Thinking that perhaps it's the local installation of SQL server but I've tried reparing that one also without success.

I can't interpret the logs to anything meaningful but if you like to try they're shared in this link together with the error message and the simplest possible app I've tried loading

Shared onedrive folder

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.