Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative

I am having the same error message again from a few weeks ago.  Cleared up when I rebooted my computer ??? but now back again.  If I knew what message meant perhaps I could fix issue.

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative when impact is requested for a transaction."

I had completed a BI file and was working fine but wanted to start from scratch to clean it up.  My original (3 months old) excel file has several tabs which are imported into BI.  When creating a new BI file with current excel file, all the tabs import okay from current monthly sheet except for one which has changed the least over the last few months.

I compared the two tabs in the files current and original and both are the same except for two rows of data.

What is odd is this !!

The original BI file still updates okay with the original file EVEN AFTER adding the 2 extra lines to the original excel file.

HOWEVER, if I delete that query file (tab from excel) in BI and try to reload the tab into Query Editor and BI file again, (from the original file), it too gives me the same error.

Only the update or refresh works without an error.

I did notice that the Query Editor in BI did not automatically use the first row as headers when the error occurred.  It does it correctly with all the other tabs.  I then tell Query Editor to use first row as header.  Even if I let first row be data or use a table for the tab, the same results.

I tried putting the tab info in a separate file and still got the same error.

Thanks for any help you can provide to fix or at least what message means. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the response.  I saw this issue last night on a more thorough Google search with the respective resolution noted below with the Options Settings. 

Evidently, it had to do with Relationships although you would never know that based on the error message. 

I tried today and it resolved the issue.  In fact, I can check the Autodetect afterwards again and it still works.

Thanks . 12-5-2018 11-52-37 AM.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the response.  I saw this issue last night on a more thorough Google search with the respective resolution noted below with the Options Settings. 

Evidently, it had to do with Relationships although you would never know that based on the error message. 

I tried today and it resolved the issue.  In fact, I can check the Autodetect afterwards again and it still works.

Thanks . 12-5-2018 11-52-37 AM.png

It's still giving me the same error message, even after I have unselected and then selected again the "Autodetect new relationships after data is loaded".

Hi All I am getting this Error Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Table 'LocalDateTable_ae12710d-4f94-4271-80e5-da1af6488cf3' with ShowAsVariationsOnly property set to '1' must be a target of a variation when variation notation is enabled. Use all Option but not able to resolve. I wont lend up rebuilding pbix 😞

I'm having this same issue with a SQL source. An older Power BI Desktop (pre appstore) works fine on the same source. Unchecking/rechecking the option box specified here does not resolve. Seems there's a bug here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I havent had any problems since my post and I have updated and modified my file several times.  Sorry I cant help you.

Best Regards

RBDport

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Could you please share the source Excel file and original PBIX file via Private Message? I will test it in my Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.