Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: ' OLE DB or ODBC error:

error message.JPG

I am getting the following error message when I'm trying to load an xlsx. file into PowerBI. I've read solutions to similar problems and tried them and haven't been able to get it to work. I tried trimming and cleaning, changing data types, checking for errors etc. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've figured out the solution. The date column was formatted as text in my source. When I changed the data type in PowerBI to date, for some reason it wasn't working properly. When I changed the data type in my excel source data, I had no issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

An alternative, as the accepted solution will not work for those who cannot modify the source file.

1. On sourcing the data, choose type text for the date columns instead of type date (I do this in Advanced Editor changing "type.date" to "type.text")
  2. Navigate to the 'Changed Type' step in the Applied Steps bar on the right of the page.
  3. Select the date column, which is currently formatted as text
  4. Use Data Type button in Transform tab to convert column to date
  5. If prompted, approve Insert Step
  6. In Change Column Type pop-up, select 'Add New Step' (this is not the default option)
  7. Click Replace Values drop down in Transform tab and select Replace Errors then type null into dialogue box OR Click Remove Rows drop down in the Home tab to Remove Errors
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous ,

Glad to hear the issue is solved, I will close this issue.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've figured out the solution. The date column was formatted as text in my source. When I changed the data type in PowerBI to date, for some reason it wasn't working properly. When I changed the data type in my excel source data, I had no issues.

@v-yuezhe-msft 
I'm facing the same issue. Can't seem to resolve it. I don't see any issues with data type. My source is Google Big Query. 
I'm failing to referesh an existing report and when i try to create a new file and import the same data source its showing this error.
"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: ' OLE DB or ODBC error:" And its only happeneing with one view.

Screesnhots of error when i try to refresh. Its so frustrating when there are no diagnostic steps.Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 10.37.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-08 at 12.19.15 PM.png 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.