Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ricardo_MSS
Helper II
Helper II

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error

Good morning all, 

I am getting the follow error in PBI Desktop when trying to apply changes made in the query:

failed to save modifications.png

In the query, the server is obvioulsy running because I can navigate, extract and manipulate the information from it. 

This only happens when Applying changes in the query editor. 

Below Advanced Query Editor and Query Editor snapshots and PBI version. 

2020-04-23 07_29_50-LicenseCalculator - Power Query Editor.png

AdvancedQE.png2020-04-23 07_31_10-Microsoft Power BI Desktop.png

Any suggestions on how to get around this is most welcomed. 

Best regards, 

Ricardo. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So after some futher investigation with our system admin it turns out that my my user required full admin credentials to be able to access and manipulate the data in Power BI query. 

This might be something particular to our database setup. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ricardo_MSS ,

Does the query work before? Have you tried to verify if you can connect the same AS Server successfully by using other tools such as SSMS? Could you please check the status of previous feature "Store using enhanced metadata format" in "options" - "preview features"? if it is enable, please try to disable and restart power bi desktop, make a blank pbix file and try the same query again.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lid-msft  Hi, sorry for extremely late reply. I got pulled to another project. Just coming back to this one. 

This particular query has not worked before. But connection to this database has and is currently being used in other queries. Having said that, in PBI desktop this particular database does have some issues though. I get a particular error that disapear randomly after multiple refresh attempts. 

When uploaded to PBI Service the report refreshes with no issues.  

The feature you mentioned is disabled and has never been enabled before. 

I will get more information on the error mentioned above, as they might actually be related somehow. 

Best regards, 

Ricardo. 

So after some futher investigation with our system admin it turns out that my my user required full admin credentials to be able to access and manipulate the data in Power BI query. 

This might be something particular to our database setup. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.