Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gasatiani

Failed to decrypt credentials error

Dear All,

I have the following issue while trying to open Power BI Desktop:

Capture.PNG

Can anybody help me with it? The file that I'm trying to open has only Excel Workbooks as a Data Source.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you, Eric. Going back to the March version solved my issue for now.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Stoejfan

Okay, I did not have the option of going back to a previous version due to global company policies, however, I've found that the trick can be done locally by altering files instead.

Step 1) Go to "File" -> "Options" -> "Automatic recovery" -> "Open the folder for automatics recovery"

Step 2) When you're in the folder, navigate to the "Power BI Desktop" root. In this folder, you will find a file called "user.zip". Open the file and navigate to the folder "Credentials" and find the file "Credentials.bin" and delete that file. 

Voilá, you should now be able to open the Power BI file again.

NB. Beware that this error is due to faulty connections/credentials in your report and will remove the stored credentials to the data sources. Thus you will need to enter these again after doing the above.

Stefan K. Johansen

BC Group Black Capital Technology | Black Capital Ventures

thank you

Thanks this worked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are also seeing this issue company-wide and opened a support ticket with Microsoft.

Eric186729

It seems like the April 2021 update broke something.  I installed the March 2021 version and it works again.  See here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de... 

Thank you, Eric. Going back to the March version solved my issue for now.

joon1lee
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue. Suddenly, i cannot access to any files I have worked. I am using the free Power BI desktop. Is this the reaason? I need to upgrade to Pro to make it work?

No, I just cleared the Cache folder and it worked. It's better to uninstall & then re-install app after you clear the Cache

Can you specify which Cashe folder you cleared? Are you using April version?

can you specify which cache you were referring? can you share the path?

Eric186729

I am getting the exact same error.  Worked Friday; not today.  I can’t even connect to a file stored locally.  If I go to File > Options and settings > Data source settings… it is all blank.  And each time I click on “Global permissions” the same error message pops up.  I'm not sure how to clear the credentials when it looks like there is nothing to clear.  Similar to OP, tried re-installing Power BI Desktop.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I cleared the Cache folder, and it worked!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@gasatiani , is your excel is saved with a password?

Make sure you are using the latest version of power bi

@amitchandak  Thank you for your response. No, it is not saved with a password. And I think I'm using the latest version, cause I uninstalled and re-installed it again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors