Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Failed connection not saved in Recent Sources but visible in Settings and Options

I am using Power BI Desktop (Apr-2020 version) and  I am conencting to database, but the connection fails. I want to modify credentials and re-connect. To do that I wan to slelect recent source from Recent Sources, but the data source is not listed, however I can see this data source in Settings and Options. Couple weeks ago I was able to select data source from Recent Sources, even though there was connection error.

Why this is happening? Is it by design ? Was there any Windows update that has changed this functionality ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have problem with removing data source (Clear permission/Delete). The problem is that I can not connect to data source (Postgres db) without installing SSL certificate first (which I don't have at the moment), because the driver performs SSL validation. My goal is just to prepare pbix file with data source and pass it to the others. It seems this can not be done from GUI.

However, I was able to edit settings in  C:\Users\<user name>\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\User.zip and my connection showed up in 'Recent Sources', and I could eventually connect to Postgres by bypassing SSL certificate check and save data source to pbix file. This is the only workaround that I found that actually did the job.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Strange error. You can check by clearing permission and giving credentials again.

Also, check if some windows updates are pending if so install them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

Unfortunatelly, I can not restart remote server at the moment, but I checked that Windows requires restart. 

I will reply once the restart is done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

Windows restart didn't fix the problem.

What I am trying to achieve is the follwing:

I am connecting to Postgres database via PostgresSQL driver (selected from Get Data), but the conenction fails due to error related with SSL certificate, however data source itself was in the past saved under Recent Source. I could then just go to 'Settings and Options' and turn off Encryption , and re-use saved data source to re-connect to Postgres database.

However, now when connection fails, data source is no longer saved under Recent Sources, and even though I can change Encryption setting I can not re-use data source anymore.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Only the data sources which is connected successfully will be displayed in Recent sources list. You can try the suggestion from @amitchandak to clear permission, later please try to reconnect PostgresSQL data source and check if you can connect it successfully.

1. Navigate to Data source settings page (Home ribbon-->Transform data--> Data source settings), select "Global permissions" tab

2. Find and select the corresponding PostgresSQL data source, right-click "Clear permissions".

3. Click "Delete" button to delete it.

clear permission.jpg

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have problem with removing data source (Clear permission/Delete). The problem is that I can not connect to data source (Postgres db) without installing SSL certificate first (which I don't have at the moment), because the driver performs SSL validation. My goal is just to prepare pbix file with data source and pass it to the others. It seems this can not be done from GUI.

However, I was able to edit settings in  C:\Users\<user name>\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\User.zip and my connection showed up in 'Recent Sources', and I could eventually connect to Postgres by bypassing SSL certificate check and save data source to pbix file. This is the only workaround that I found that actually did the job.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for your feedback and sharing your workaround with us. It may help others in the future if someone in the community face the similar problem with you. Could you please just mark your post as Answered? Then the member in the member can find this workaround easily. Much appreciated!

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

It is quite possible that Windows update is pending, thank you for the hint.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.