Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Facet Key - Custom Visual

Hello All,

I’m encountering 2 issues with the Facet Key Custom Visual (actually there were more before the latest update) Smiley Happy

Anyway I have just emailed Contact Author about this (and I know there's an Issues forum)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this - especially the first one.

• The Facet Key does not work with any DATE placed in the Instance field – I immediately get an Unexpected Error!

• When I use a Location (County) in the Instance field and a Projects Measure in the Count - everything works but not completely as expected.

When you select a County or multiple Counties from the Facet Key

The adjacent map visual gets filtered and zooms in on the County and all other visuals get filtered as well - as expected!

So far so good!

The problem occurs afterwards when you want to select an individual Project from the Map which zoomed in as expected

on the County you’ve selected in the Facet Key and only shows the Projects in that County!

So as soon as you click on a Project in the zoomed in Map – it zooms out and shows ALL projects in ALL Counties

of course only the selected Project is highlighted and all others are dimmed and the remaining visuals show the correct info

only for the selected project.

However, you cannot really see the selected Project anymore (even though the others are dimmed)

because there are many others overlapping it since the map zoomed out so much to show all other projects (dimmed).

When using a Regular Slicer with the same County field – the map again zooms in when you first select the County

But then when you click on an individual Project on the zoomed in map – it never zooms out!

It highlights only the selected Project and only the remaining in the selected county – only they get dim

So the map never zooms out to show All other projects in All Counties like it does when using the Facet Key!

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Okay here's the response I received - looks like we'll be able to use Dates soon! Smiley Happy

For 1), the bad news is that Facet Key does not currently support dates. The good news is that we have now added date support to our internal version and will update the visual in the Power BI gallery soon. Your feedback was much appreciated and helped us to prioritise this feature.

For 2), this is the intended behaviour of Facet Key and a distinction between faceting and slicing. Slicers act to filter data, while facets interact with the filtered data. We will consider adding slicer capabilities to future versions of Facet Key.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
csteinberg
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to change the bar colors?  We are displaying two Facet Key Visuals next to eachother.  One represents service increases and the other decreases.  While the red shade(s) are good for decreases, from a visual perspective we would want green shade(s) to represent increases but cant seem to customize.

Is this possible?

csteinberg
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to change the bar colors?  

We are using this in two columns side-by-side and representing service increase on one Visual and decrease on the other.  While red is good for showing decrease, we'de love to show green shades on the other side for increase(s).

Is that possible?

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Sean

I’ve reported the first issue internally.

For the second one, how about add one more map in the canvas? In following screenshot, if we select one location in the first map, it will zoom out and show all cities. And another map will keep the zoom level. In this way, we can have two different views.

Facet Key - Custom Visual_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft Thank you for trying this! I will also post when I hear back from Microsoft!

As far as the second issue - I can't really add another map for this report.

So what I did was create a COLUMN so I can use it as a Slicer to simulate the same effect

So I basically created a Slicer by concatenating the Number of Projects Per County followed by the County - like this

Projects by County COLUMN =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table[ProjectNumber] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[County] )
)
    & " - "
    & Table[County]

So then when you sort the Slicer you get something like this...

5 - County 1

4 - County 2

etc...

It really does not look as nice as the Facet Key but at least the map remains zoomed!

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Okay here's the response I received - looks like we'll be able to use Dates soon! Smiley Happy

For 1), the bad news is that Facet Key does not currently support dates. The good news is that we have now added date support to our internal version and will update the visual in the Power BI gallery soon. Your feedback was much appreciated and helped us to prioritise this feature.

For 2), this is the intended behaviour of Facet Key and a distinction between faceting and slicing. Slicers act to filter data, while facets interact with the filtered data. We will consider adding slicer capabilities to future versions of Facet Key.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sean - Picking up on an old post here, but it would be really nice having slicer function (like a toggle in format)! Any news on whether this will be implemented?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Just adding here for anyone else using the Facet Key the new request I emailed them today.

Basically the ability to show (in a tooltip or otherwise) the Values highlighted in the bars when the Visualization is filtered.

Currently you can't really tell what those values are for highlighted parts of the bars when the Visualization is filtered (see picture)

EDIT: There is no Tooltip field for this Visual - before anyone starts responding!

Facet Key.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.