Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

FY Year-to-date rolling average - DAX help

I have been asked to add a rolling year-to-date average in a PBI report I have. I think I already have all of the info I need in this table, but am enough of a DAX newbie that I am not sure how I'd compose the code.

In my report each row is a month. I have another column called "Accounting Year" which just repeats the FY. So for example, from October 2014 through September 2015 (our fiscal year) it just says "2015." The next row (October) it says "2016" and continues for the next 11 rows.

So what kind of DAX would you use that makes a running average from the first row that has the same value in Accounting Year as the current row, of course looking back only?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

Amazingly I managed to figure it out myself, so thought I'd share my solution.

As I said in original query I thought I had all the info I needed, and I was right. There was another column I didn't mention that was called "Accounting Period" that essentially places a "1" in rows starting with October, "2" in November, etc. through "12" in September. Using this column I came up with:

PPM YTD NA = 
IF(ISBLANK('%COPQ'[Monthly PPM NA]),BLANK(),
    ((CALCULATE (
    AVERAGEX ( '%COPQ', '%COPQ'[Monthly PPM NA] ),
    DATESINPERIOD (
        '%COPQ'[Date],
        LASTDATE ( '%COPQ'[Date] ),
        -('%COPQ'[Accounting Period]),
        MONTH
    )))))

I am surprised I got it so quickly, but very happy!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

Amazingly I managed to figure it out myself, so thought I'd share my solution.

As I said in original query I thought I had all the info I needed, and I was right. There was another column I didn't mention that was called "Accounting Period" that essentially places a "1" in rows starting with October, "2" in November, etc. through "12" in September. Using this column I came up with:

PPM YTD NA = 
IF(ISBLANK('%COPQ'[Monthly PPM NA]),BLANK(),
    ((CALCULATE (
    AVERAGEX ( '%COPQ', '%COPQ'[Monthly PPM NA] ),
    DATESINPERIOD (
        '%COPQ'[Date],
        LASTDATE ( '%COPQ'[Date] ),
        -('%COPQ'[Accounting Period]),
        MONTH
    )))))

I am surprised I got it so quickly, but very happy!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.