Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FORMAT Mystery

Hi,

I am using FORMAT to return month name in "MMM" format from date NOW(). I want it to return May (English), not Maj (Danish).

I changed the locale settings on the Server running Power BI Desktop (Power BI desktop language is set to UK English as well), but no luck. Excel gets the formatting right, however... Please see attached screen dump (The upper Formula bar is a Report Level Measure in Power BI Desktop, the lower Formula bar is Excel 2013):

pbi_locale.png

I'm puzzled - any suggestions?

Thanks.

Br, Rasmus

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

You must be using Power BI (Danish). This won't be a problem if you use English edition. No other changes of settings needed. Try it. I am just on the way back to EnglishSmiley Very Happy.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@Anonymous

Hi,

I have tested a lot. The English edition does return English display. But it won't return English if the file is created with non-English edition initially. So please create a new file with the English edition for now. I will update here if I have more information.

Best Regards!

Dale 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I wrote an article explaining how to change the culture settings that is inherited from the operating system current culture when you create a Power BI Desktop file and that you cannot change later (in Power BI Desktop UI).

http://www.sqlbi.com/articles/changing-the-culture-of-a-power-bi-desktop-file/

I hope it helps.

Marco Russo - SQLBI

10 REPLIES 10
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

You must be using Power BI (Danish). This won't be a problem if you use English edition. No other changes of settings needed. Try it. I am just on the way back to EnglishSmiley Very Happy.

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't believe I did not consider this - thanks 🙂

It's my pleasure.

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems I was a little fast on the trigger.. Now I got time to actually test it, and even after installing English PBI Desktop, it still returns "MAJ"... 😞

@Anonymous

Hi,

That´s quite strange. I changed the language, format, etc. of my computer into Danish. I got the right display. Can you post screenshot here?

danish.JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I tried the same on my own w10 machine, works as you describe it, but on the windows server 2012R2 of the customer I am working for, it does not work...widexformat.PNG

@Anonymous

Hi,

I have tested a lot. The English edition does return English display. But it won't return English if the file is created with non-English edition initially. So please create a new file with the English edition for now. I will update here if I have more information.

Best Regards!

Dale 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for investigating on this. It is clearly not optimal, but at least it makes sense why my test file at home did work. Hopefully this will be fixed 🙂 Thanks.

I wrote an article explaining how to change the culture settings that is inherited from the operating system current culture when you create a Power BI Desktop file and that you cannot change later (in Power BI Desktop UI).

http://www.sqlbi.com/articles/changing-the-culture-of-a-power-bi-desktop-file/

I hope it helps.

Marco Russo - SQLBI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply - I will try this 🙂

/RSK

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.