Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FORMAT Month Issue - A Month isn't a month

I use the following DAX function to create a value called Month in my date table:

Month = FORMAT('Date'[Date],"Mmmm")

I get back fully spelled-out month names, with the first letter capitalized, which is what I want.  Unfortunately, I am trying to compare a value over several years, within the same month, and I am getting this:

Power BI Date Issue.png

Why wouldn't I have one December here, that includes both December 2018 and December 2019, for purposes of comparision?  My Data type for the Month column is Text, which I half-suspect could be my problem, but I don't know what else would work for it, since the name of a month is fundamentally a text string.  Thanks in advance for your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on your data, you can see there's the null value in FY19 and FY20. I'd suggest you create a new table with the column 

Table 2 = VALUES('Table'[MonthColumn])

Then manage the relationship between table 1, then use the column in table2 as X-axis.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked.  Thanks for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on your data, you can see there's the null value in FY19 and FY20. I'd suggest you create a new table with the column 

Table 2 = VALUES('Table'[MonthColumn])

Then manage the relationship between table 1, then use the column in table2 as X-axis.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked.  Thanks for helping!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , you have month on-axis and year as a legend.  and use a simple measure. that should work

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response, but I don't follow you.  I have Fiscal Year as the legend in the line chart, not month.  Likewise, in the Matrix, I have Fiscal Year in the column.  Does that change your advice about the Measure?  And if so, what would the proposed measure do?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.