cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

FORMAT INSTRUCTION WITHIN DYNAMIC TITLE MEASURE NOT APPLYING

I have a measure which shows which months have been selected from a slicer

The below syntax works, but ignores my FORMAT argument, therefore if I select Jan and Feb 2021 from my slicer (called Reporting Period), the FILTER measure displays "REPORTING MONTHS: 01/01/2021 | 01/02/2021"

FILTER = IF(ISFILTERED('Dim_Date'[REPORTING PERIOD]), "REPORTING MONTHS: "& UPPER(FORMAT(CONCATENATEX(VALUES('Dim_Date'[REPORTING PERIOD]),'Dim_Date'[REPORTING PERIOD]," | "),"MMM YYYY")))

What I want to appear is "REPORTING MONTHS: JAN 2021 | FEB 2021"

Is this possible within this type of measure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - The FORMAT is outside of the CONCATENATEX so it will not be recognised as DATE.  You might be able to try something like:

FILTER = 
VAR _RepMths = 
DISTINCT(
SELECTCOLUMNS(
'Dim_Date' ,
"Formatted Reporting Months" ,
FORMAT( 'Dim_Date'[REPORTING PERIOD], "MMM YYYY")
)
)
RETURN
IF(
ISFILTERED('Dim_Date'[REPORTING PERIOD]),
"REPORTING MONTHS: "& UPPER( CONCATENATEX( _RepMths , [Formatted Reporting Months] ," | ") ),
BLANK()
)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - The FORMAT is outside of the CONCATENATEX so it will not be recognised as DATE.  You might be able to try something like:

FILTER = 
VAR _RepMths = 
DISTINCT(
SELECTCOLUMNS(
'Dim_Date' ,
"Formatted Reporting Months" ,
FORMAT( 'Dim_Date'[REPORTING PERIOD], "MMM YYYY")
)
)
RETURN
IF(
ISFILTERED('Dim_Date'[REPORTING PERIOD]),
"REPORTING MONTHS: "& UPPER( CONCATENATEX( _RepMths , [Formatted Reporting Months] ," | ") ),
BLANK()
)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you clever little sausage! It worked perfectly! Didn't occur to be to create a variable. Great 😄

Helpful resources

Announcements
Carousel_PBI_Wave1

2023 Release Wave 1 Plans

Power BI release plans for 2023 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2023 through September 2023.

Power BI Summit Carousel 2

Global Power BI Training

Make sure you register today for the Power BI Summit 2023. Don't miss all of the great sessions and speakers!

Thank you 2022 Review

2022 Monthly Feature Releases

We had a great 2022 with a ton of feature releases to help you drive a data culture.