Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tylermontney
Regular Visitor

FIRSTNONBLANK returns blank

I want to return a columns first non blank value.

LastLogon = FIRSTNONBLANK('TestReport'[Account_Name], 1) & " was the last to logon."

Unfortunately, it returns nothing. I can verify the column I'm referring to has at least one value.

example.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@tylermontney

The formula you provided should work if the rest value of column Account_Name is Blank(except value "tyler.montney"). Now the formula does not get the expected value, so I assume the rest value of the column Account_Name is not Blank, it is empty("").

In this case, the following formula should work:

LastLogon = 
CALCULATE (
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'TestReport'[Account_Name], 1 ) & " was the last to logon.",
    TestReport[Account_Name] <> ""
)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-subash2

FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'TestReport'[Account_Name], 1 ) +1

use this query

I think this would be solved problem 

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@tylermontney

The formula you provided should work if the rest value of column Account_Name is Blank(except value "tyler.montney"). Now the formula does not get the expected value, so I assume the rest value of the column Account_Name is not Blank, it is empty("").

In this case, the following formula should work:

LastLogon = 
CALCULATE (
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'TestReport'[Account_Name], 1 ) & " was the last to logon.",
    TestReport[Account_Name] <> ""
)

How would you compare "blank" and "empty". As in null/nothing blank?

PBDC-LT-16.PBDC.local,,12:45 june/30/2016,,C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe,,

I can see "empty" being a whitespace as a value. Above is an example of what blank should be (where a comma delimted value has absolutely nothing in it).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.