Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nasilemak06

FILTER ignore Measure

Hi

I have a dynamic week table lookup:

Start_week
==
4 <--- This is current week

I have a transaction table (weekly_files) with Week as transaction date from previous week

Start_Week Product Quantity
1 TV 10
1 Laptop 5
2 TV 1
2 Laptop 1
3 Laptop 3

I am able to get latest week with the below:

Start Week: 0 = CALCULATE(MAX(dynamic_calendar_lookup[start_week]), FILTER(weekly_files, weekly_files[quantity] <> BLANK()))

This returns 3

Now I want to see ONLY Latest week (W3), so I am creating a new measure "Request W0"

Case 1: Re-using the measure "start week: 0"

Request W0 = CALCULATE([Quantity - Total], FILTER(dynamic_calendar_lookup,dynamic_calendar_lookup[start_week] = [Start Week: 0]))

I am getting all weeks returns

start_week Request W0
1 15
2 2
3 3

Case 2: Not using the measure "start week: 0", but instead I am using the reference of the week

Request W0 = CALCULATE([Request - Total], FILTER(dynamic_calendar_lookup,dynamic_calendar_lookup[start_week] = 3))

I am getting what I want

start_week Request W0
3 3

How to make my measure (Request W0) working with the previous measure (Start Week: 0)?

Cheers
L.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

@nasilemak06 

Request W0 =
VAR startW_ = [Start Week: 0]
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [Quantity - Total],
        FILTER (
            dynamic_calendar_lookup,
            dynamic_calendar_lookup[start_week] = startW_
        )
    )

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlB
Super User
Super User

@nasilemak06 

To avoid context transition interacting with your measure. Note that when you invoke the measure from within FILTER(), there exists a row context that will trigger context transition, that in turn will apply a filter context to your measure when being executed. By invoking the measure at the beginning, outside FILTER() and without a row context present, you avoid that context transition; the measure will yield the same result as when invoked in a visual card, which is what you were looking for. Then, you use that result (immutable after being stored in a variable)  in the FILTER () operation.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

@nasilemak06 

Request W0 =
VAR startW_ = [Start Week: 0]
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [Quantity - Total],
        FILTER (
            dynamic_calendar_lookup,
            dynamic_calendar_lookup[start_week] = startW_
        )
    )

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Thanks @AlB  it works like a charm. Can you please explain why I need to put my measure in a variable? Sorry, I am new in Power Bi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.