Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MarketingGerens
Frequent Visitor

FILTER TABLE BASED ON ANOTHER TABLE

Hi

I have this 2 tables on my dashboard:

TABLE1CUSTOMERS

CUSTOMERID   |  PRODUCTIDPURCHASE  |  REGISTER_DATE

101                   |   C01                                 |   20/11/2019

102                   |   C02                                 |   20/12/2019

TABLE2PRODUCTS

PRODUCTID |  LAUNCH_DATE

C01               |   19/11/2019

C02               |   22/11/2019

I would like to filter CUSTOMERID's out based on whether DATE1 is earlier than DATE2 to see how many new customers bought a product. I was thinking to do this using the DAX below:

NEW CUSTOMERS =

CALCULATE(

COUNT(TABLE1CUSTOMERS[CUSTOMERID]), FILTER('TABLE1CUSTOMERS','TABLE1CUSTOMERS'[REGISTER_DATE]>'TABLE2PRODUCTS'[LAUNCH_DATE])

)

but this is giving me an error because I can't use the FILTER function by referring to another table. Can somebody help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

As you are trying to access the rows of a table on the one side of the relationship from the many side of the relationship, you need to use RELATED function.

NEW_CUSTOMERS = COUNTX(FILTER(Cust,Cust[REGISTER_DATE]>RELATED(Products[LAUNCH_DATE])),Cust[CUSTOMERID]).

Though using CALCULATE function too we could achieve the same result.

This is yet another way of achieving it, without using calculate.

Regards,

Rakesh

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

As you are trying to access the rows of a table on the one side of the relationship from the many side of the relationship, you need to use RELATED function.

NEW_CUSTOMERS = COUNTX(FILTER(Cust,Cust[REGISTER_DATE]>RELATED(Products[LAUNCH_DATE])),Cust[CUSTOMERID]).

Though using CALCULATE function too we could achieve the same result.

This is yet another way of achieving it, without using calculate.

Regards,

Rakesh

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@MarketingGerens 

It seems your tables are related by product ID, you need to use RELATED() when referring to THE other table columns. 

NEW CUSTOMERS = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[ID]), FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Register Date]>RELATED(Table2[Launch Date])))

Paul Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You can have a new column in table1customer, that can help you to solve the problem

minx(FILTER('TABLE2PRODUCTS','TABLE1CUSTOMERS'[REGISTER_DATE]>'TABLE2PRODUCTS'[LAUNCH_DATE] 
&& 'TABLE1CUSTOMERS'[PRODUCTID ]='TABLE2PRODUCTS'[PRODUCTID ]),'TABLE2PRODUCTS'[LAUNCH_DATE])

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.