Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FILTER Function fails with SSAS Tabular and SSAS RLS applied

Hi Experts,

I have created a power bi report which LIVE connects to SSAS Tabular. The report works fine, every visual show up correctly and my account has got sysadmin rights on the SSAS data source.

However, we have implemented RLS via SSAS RLS functionality and if I log in as an unprivileged user. All the visuals that use any measure with FILTER function would fail. And I get an "An expected Exception Occurred" error. If I promote the user account to sysadmin then this issue goes away.

Has anybody got a similar scenario or any idea what might be a reason for this behaviour? I am guessing changing the below highlighted to "Filter Both Ways" might alleviate the issue but not 100% sure???RLS.PNG

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Felix

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still struggling to find out why. Anybody can give a hint?

Hi @Anonymous,

If you applied the RLS function in the SSAS, is it right to show nothing for the unprivileged person? What's the expected result?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also if I put a "Event Type" slicer on the report. Whenever I select "All" event type my report visual will be broken and give me "An Unexpected Exception Occurred" error. Still not sure why.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors