Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hoandatamaker
Regular Visitor

FBI : Minimum requirement

I got a Dell vostro laptop has basic configuration like this : 

- CPU : core i5

- RAM : 4GB

- Hard driver : HDD 500GB.

I set up PBI, when it works, I have to take 5 minutes for 1 action. So I think I should buy a new one, and I want to ask about laptop configuration is needed for PBI working? Minimum requirement  for laptop configuration : RAM, Hard driver, CPU, screen driver?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hoandatamaker,

Please refer to #minimum-requirements for details. 64-bit Win 10 would be a good choice. I would suggest you optimize your data model. Your computer seems powerful enough. 

Minimum requirement for Computer configuration.JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @hoandatamaker,

This configuration is cool. Since you have a large dataset, more RAM would be great if possible. BUT the point is the dataset is very large. The new computer might not reduce the time from 5 minutes to seconds. I would suggest optimizing the data model at the same time.

1. Try Direct Query instead of Import.

2. Delete unused columns.

3. Break a one-step formula to smaller steps.

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hoandatamaker,

Please refer to #minimum-requirements for details. 64-bit Win 10 would be a good choice. I would suggest you optimize your data model. Your computer seems powerful enough. 

Minimum requirement for Computer configuration.JPG

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Thanks alot for your suggestion, my computer seems powerful enough, but maybe  my database has more than 11 milion, so it works too slow ( I had to take 5 minutes ). So how is your idea if I buy a new one with this configuration:

- RAM: 8GB

- Hard driver: SSD 256GB 

- systeam type: 64bit windows 10.

- processor: core i7 0.27Ghz.

So when I upload database, it can work better?

Hi @hoandatamaker,

This configuration is cool. Since you have a large dataset, more RAM would be great if possible. BUT the point is the dataset is very large. The new computer might not reduce the time from 5 minutes to seconds. I would suggest optimizing the data model at the same time.

1. Try Direct Query instead of Import.

2. Delete unused columns.

3. Break a one-step formula to smaller steps.

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi @hoandatamaker,

Could you please mark a answer for this thread please? Or share yours.

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi Dale,

Thanks alot for your help! I got a new laptop and it works better. 

So sorry, this is the first time I enjoy in PBI community, so I don't know alot of feature like about mark my situation, so when you suggest, I have to sign in and look away, and finally it's done. Thanks alot for mention me!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors