Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI_Curve
Helper I
Helper I

Extrapolating Monthly Targets from Overall Target, Start Date and Number of Months

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure out a way to extrapolate monthly targets from the number of months involved, the total target and the start date.

For example, I'm given the three pieces of information for each Lead:

1. The Duration of the Agreed Contract - e.g. 12 months for Seller A.

2. The total number of units the lead expects to sell in total - e.g. 120 units for Seller A.

3. The execution date of said contract - e.g. 1st January 2019  for Seller A.

In this example, I know that this aforementioned lead will require 10 units per month from January 2019 to December 2019 (totalling 120 units). From this I can generate a line graph showing monthly targets.

Basically, I need to turn information like this:

LeadContract Execution DateTotal ContractedContract Duration (Months)
Seller A01/01/201912012
Seller B01/07/20191206

Into this:

LeadJan-19Feb-19Mar-19Apr-19May-19Jun-19Jul-19Aug-19Sep-19Oct-19Nov-19Dec-19
Seller A101010101010101010101010
Seller Bnullnullnullnullnullnull202020202020

Is there a way to use PowerQuery and/or DAX to extrapolate this from hundreds of leads with only those 3 pieces of information for each?

All suggestions welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@PBI_Curve

I would personally use Power Query to take your original table and expand the rows so that there is a row per month for each Lead, with the appropriate monthly value.

Sample PBIX here

Code in my sample file to recreate your original table which I called Leads:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCk7NyUktUnBU0lEyMNQHIiMDQ0sgx9DIAEwqxerAFTlBFZmjKjJTio0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Lead = _t, #"Contract Execution Date" = _t, #"Total Contracted" = _t, #"Contract Duration (Months)" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Lead", type text}, {"Contract Execution Date", type date}, {"Total Contracted", Int64.Type}, {"Contract Duration (Months)", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Code to expand Leads to one row per Lead per month (LeadsExpanded😞

let
    Source = Leads,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Contracted per Month", each [Total Contracted]/[#"Contract Duration (Months)"], type number),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Month", each let FirstDate = [Contract Execution Date]
in List.Transform({0..[#"Contract Duration (Months)"]-1}, each Date.AddMonths(FirstDate,_))),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Contract Execution Date", "Total Contracted", "Contract Duration (Months)"}),
    #"Expanded Months" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Month"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Months",{{"Month", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

With LeadsExpanded, you can now easily visualize values per Lead per Month as per your post (sample matrix in PBIX above).

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@PBI_Curve

I would personally use Power Query to take your original table and expand the rows so that there is a row per month for each Lead, with the appropriate monthly value.

Sample PBIX here

Code in my sample file to recreate your original table which I called Leads:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCk7NyUktUnBU0lEyMNQHIiMDQ0sgx9DIAEwqxerAFTlBFZmjKjJTio0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Lead = _t, #"Contract Execution Date" = _t, #"Total Contracted" = _t, #"Contract Duration (Months)" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Lead", type text}, {"Contract Execution Date", type date}, {"Total Contracted", Int64.Type}, {"Contract Duration (Months)", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Code to expand Leads to one row per Lead per month (LeadsExpanded😞

let
    Source = Leads,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Contracted per Month", each [Total Contracted]/[#"Contract Duration (Months)"], type number),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Month", each let FirstDate = [Contract Execution Date]
in List.Transform({0..[#"Contract Duration (Months)"]-1}, each Date.AddMonths(FirstDate,_))),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Contract Execution Date", "Total Contracted", "Contract Duration (Months)"}),
    #"Expanded Months" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Month"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Months",{{"Month", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

With LeadsExpanded, you can now easily visualize values per Lead per Month as per your post (sample matrix in PBIX above).

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.