Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DreDre
Helper II
Helper II

Extracting the last date in a column based on the data in another using a measure

I have a table with one column containing repeating values or "Source" and another column containing just the “Date” for each record. I am trying to display the first/last date for each “Source”, but when I use the following formula I get a date in the middle of the range. I am newer to PBI so any help would be greatly appreciated! Below is a sample of the data I am talking about.

Date - End = DATEVALUE(Calculate(Max('Data Source'[Date])))

Date - End = max('1 Date Source'[Date])

SourceDateType
Month 11/12/2020AOH
Month 11/13/2020AGN
Month 11/14/2020QXP
Month 11/15/2020AOH
Month 11/16/2020QXP
Month 33/23/2020AGN
Month 33/24/2020QXP
Month 33/25/2020QXP
Month 33/26/2020AOH

same for Date - Start, just using Min

How would I say that Month 1 was from 1/12/2020 – 1/16/2020 and month 3 was 3/23/2020 – 3/26/2020? I tried using a table visualization and adding the Values of “Source”, the measure I made “Date – Start” and “Date – End”, but I am getting Month 1 1/15 – 1/15 and month 3 as 3/24 – 3/24.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DreDre - Perhaps I am not understanding what you are going for here. See attached PBIX, is that what you want?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DreDre - You should just need to do MIN and MAX assuming that your column is really a date column and not text for example. 

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler - When using the Min/Max, it ends up pulling a date in the table that matches the "Source" but is the same date for the Start/End which is where I am hitting the wall. The column is filtered as a date which I thought would be the fix, but I am still stumped. 

@DreDre - Perhaps I am not understanding what you are going for here. See attached PBIX, is that what you want?

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler I went to create a sample of what I was trying to explain and your right it looks like the min/max do work exactly as they should have so there is a problem with my underlying data that I need to root out. I appreciate your quick response!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.