Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Akshay_M
Helper I
Helper I

Extracting data from Quickbooks Desktop?

I am working with a client who is wanting to extract QB Desktop data to Power BI so they can have customized reports, that are updated regularly (~15 min intervals is fine). I have seen a few tools out there that allow you to connect to SSIS or allows you to connect using ODBC driver....both of these options are ideal, but a bit expensive. I found a tool that lets you extract quickbooks cloud data to excel. I am a BI developer, so I can easily develop an SSIS package that ingests excels sheets into a database, and then connect Power BI to the db. The only issue is that I would have to find a way to automatically run the QB2Excel tool every 15 minutes. Not the best solution, but the only Free one I can think of. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Akshay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Akshay_M ,

If you can publish data from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online, then you can connect to QuickBooks Online in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service to retrieve data, See: QuickBooks Online content pack for Power BI. Also there is already an idea about QuickBooks Desktop data source, you can vote on it: Quickbooks Desktop Version .

5.PNG6.PNG

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BobMarf
Regular Visitor

For extracting QB Desktop data to Power BI with regular updates, consider Skyvia. It offers an efficient, cost-effective alternative to SSIS or ODBC drivers. Skyvia can automate data extraction and syncing, reducing the need for manual interventions like running a QB2Excel tool every 15 minutes.

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Akshay_M ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

Hi @v-xicai, I am attempting to do this same action, downloading the dataset from the Quickbooks App that I connected to in PowerBI Online (sucessfully), but I can't extract the data in PowerBI desktop.  Any help would be appreciated! 

We couldn't export to .pbix format.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity IDa88ba6ed-d686-4817-ba29-5ae8c54ed31a
Request ID5778c530-ff34-8235-5c8c-eb533ddb58d3
Correlation IDdc74665d-39b6-8730-0e86-f1c44cc8a60f
Status code401
TimeFri Oct 04 2019 12:54:58 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
Service version13.0.10882.216
Client version1909.4.015
Cluster URIhttps://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Akshay_M ,

If you can publish data from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online, then you can connect to QuickBooks Online in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service to retrieve data, See: QuickBooks Online content pack for Power BI. Also there is already an idea about QuickBooks Desktop data source, you can vote on it: Quickbooks Desktop Version .

5.PNG6.PNG

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.