Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jnpb
Helper I
Helper I

Extracting $amount from Notes field

I have a table with a Notes field that contains varying text, but each with a dollar value expressed as $nnn.nn . The amount varies but always includes decimals. 

How would I go about extracting the $nnn.nn for each row so that I cam compare that number against that in another numerical column? 

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jnpb the solution @v-yanjiang-msft provided is basically looking to extract the value between $ and "For Order" and in case it didn't work because that row doesn't meet the criteria, maybe change it to this:

Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column1], "$", " ")

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jnpb
Helper I
Helper I

That was more effective for sure - although I'm encountering issues where non numerical characters are sometimes making it through. 
Is there a way to strip anything that isn't numerical from the string? That might be the cleanest way 

Hi @jnpb ,

What do you mean non numerical characters are through, like this?

vkalyjmsft_0-1663911846899.png

If this is the case, you should right click the column and select Replace Values, replace the character with blank.

vkalyjmsft_1-1663911879476.png

vkalyjmsft_2-1663911900251.png

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I ended up doing this, though the volume of instances where text characters made it through and had to be removed was more than I'd liked - it did help solve for the issue however. Thank you so much!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jnpb the solution @v-yanjiang-msft provided is basically looking to extract the value between $ and "For Order" and in case it didn't work because that row doesn't meet the criteria, maybe change it to this:

Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column1], "$", " ")

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jnpb can you share some sample notes data in the table format here so that it can be easily copied to get the solution?

@parry2k absolutely: here are two examples

1st example:

Order Cancellation credit: Registration 305099, Message: CREDIT/REFUND: Customer 111027, Associated Orders 212227 ============= Credit used: $250.95 for Order: 338726 ============= -$126.00, expired credit from 2019 – Office 2022-01-19 ============= Order Cancellation credit: Registration 1070581, Message: CREDIT/REFUND: Customer 111027, Associated Orders 662067

2nd example: 

Order Cancellation credit: Registration 320734, Message: CREDIT/REFUND: Customer 116337, Associated Orders 221787

=============

Credit used: $198.45 For Order: 239259

=============

Order Cancellation credit: Registration 349834, Message: CREDIT/REFUND: Customer 116337, Associated Orders 239259

=============

Order Cancellation credit: Registration 349835, Message: CREDIT/REFUND: Customer 116337, Associated Orders 239259

=============

Credit used: $206.01 For Order: 265792

=============

Order Cancellation credit: Registration 387124, Message: CREDIT/REFUND: Customer 116337, Associated Orders 265792

=============

Credit used: $283.50 For Order: 268098

=============

-$126.00 manual refund for delayed start date at F2K -Naz 9/8/17

=============

Order Cancellation credit: Registration 390855, Message: CREDIT/REFUND: Customer 116337, Associated Orders 268943

=============

Credit used: $283.50 For Order: 270875

=============

One thing your request for samples has me thinking about is the need to be able to address instances where multiple $nnn.nn amounts are in a single table. They need to be combined as a single amount in the result. 

Hi @jnpb ,

According to your description, I create a sample.

vkalyjmsft_0-1663828198424.png

You can add a cusotm column in Power Query:

vkalyjmsft_1-1663828277080.png

Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column1], "$", "For Order")

vkalyjmsft_2-1663828367258.png

Get the result.

vkalyjmsft_3-1663828386799.png

I attach my sample below for your reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there, 

Thank you for this! Using this I achieved partial success. Below are two values where one worked, and one that didn't. I'm unsure why it wasn't successful for every entry: 

Screenshot 2022-09-22 123509.png

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks so much for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.