Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tbmauricio

Extracting a filtered number

Hello everyone,

I have one doubt about using a filtered data.

For example, I have a table with a lot of sites names and latitudes and longitudes related to those sites.

I selected one data (CTA009B1) that has one latitude (in this case -25,52) and one longitude linked with it.

I would like to use this filtered latitude as an input to calculate another table. How could I do that?

I thank you in advance.

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Columns are calculated on Data import, not at run-time.  So you won't be able to create or update a column on the fly with user filters.  Measures are your only option.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by Calculating another table?  Understanding your intentions will guide us on how we can provide some advice.

@Anonymous This latitude will be used as a variable in another table/column.

For example:

Column 1

120 - Var Latitude

100 - Var Latitude

50 - Var Latitude

1.000  - Var Latitude

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this table simply going to be held in memory as part of another Dax statement, are you hoping to use this as a parameter for another report or are you hoping to build a table that will appear on your table/field listing on the right?

If you want to use it within another DAX statement, thats pretty easy.  Set up a measure that takes the MIN of your Latitude column.  Once filtered it will only have 1 row, those get you the value you want.  Then you can start your DAX statement with

Your Measure =
VAR InputLat = [LatInputMeasure]
RETURN

If you are wanting to pass the value across to another report, have a visual that relies on a measure the produces a HTTP string you can click on.  This string builds the parameter so when they click on the value it takes you to the destination report with the filters included.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-url-filters/

@Anonymous You gave me a heads up. Part of the problem I can solve with your solution, but actually I want to use this MIN Latitude as a variable to calculate a new column

New Column

Latitude 1 - MIN Latitude

Latitude 2 - MIN Latitude

Latitude 3 - MIN Latitude

Anonymous
Not applicable

Columns are calculated on Data import, not at run-time.  So you won't be able to create or update a column on the fly with user filters.  Measures are your only option.

I was afraid about it =/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lastly, a measure can't be used to create a saved data table.  It can help you filter a matrix or something display.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.