Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smpa01
Super User
Super User

Extracting Data from Column with different Length- Starting Index 0 but Number of Character Variable

Hello guys,

I have a set of data in Description column like this. I want extract data in Desired Column with starting index 0 and NUmber of characters as per the value in Required Length column.

Can it be done Power Q/PBIX?

Thank you in advance.

Capture2.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Add new column with following formula:

Desired Description = Left(Table1[Desription], Table1[Required Length])

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
smpa01
Super User
Super User

Data - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uhihkMkdtQ22QVLfkhpG-fHx82WhyQa-/view?usp=sharing

Add new column with following formula:

Desired Description = Left(Table1[Desription], Table1[Required Length])

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k thanks for your help man. But I think you meant +> Text.Start([Desription],[Required Length]) as there is no syntax with Left.

you have to add it as a column using DAX, it is not thru power query

Okay I did not realise you were providing the slution in DAX. I tried it in Power Query and it worked in following ways. Now I have two ways to achieve this. Thanks.

Capture5.JPG

Good for you 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.