Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drwillia
Helper I
Helper I

Extracting Alphanumeric from Dynamic String Length and Format

Hi

I have various records in PowerBI in a single text field.  I need to extract only the alphanumeric values of length 8 characters from these strings, for example H5M10499, SA900324 and 3F601561 would be the strings id like to extract. Notice they are in different positions so i cannot tranform and extract using the right function and also the delimited varies, but the constant is the length and the fact that it is alphanumeric in nature. 

Gold Coast Council - 305E2 - H5M10499 - 100028392

HD Rental - D6 XL SU - SA900324

Ezyquip Hire 745 3F601561

Would appreciate any input on this problem,

Thanks

Daniel

6 REPLIES 6
YalanWu_test
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, @drwillia ;

You could create this funtion.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each 
List.Select(Text.SplitAny([Column1], " "), each Text.Length(_)=8))

The final show:

YalanWu_test_1-1660269391626.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcs/PSVFwzk8sLgGSpXnJmTkKugrGBqauRkDaw9TX0MDE0hLINDQwMDCyMLY0UorViVbycFEISs0rSQQpdjFTiPBRCA4FMoMdLQ0MjI1MwGpcqyoLSzMLFDwyi1IVzE1MFYzdzAwMTc0MlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each 
List.Select(Text.SplitAny([Column1], " "), each Text.Length(_)=8)),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom")
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Best Regards,

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

It needs the column name in brackets after Text.Length so there looks to be extra [#" characters and more extra at the end

--

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You must be pretty close.  Error messages?

= Table.SelectRows(#"Split Column by Delimiter", each Text.Length([#"[Fin Project].[Project].[Project].[MEMBER_CAPTION]"] = 8))

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value false to type Text.
Details:
Value=FALSE
Type=[Type]

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You can split the column by space character, using Advanced->To Rows.  That will give you a column of strings.  Then use the Filter dropdown from the column header to generate a formula (just pick one of the values, doesn't matter which, you just want to generate a Table.SelectRows statement which you can edit).

Then edit the statement to use Text.Length(column_Name) = 8 instead of the filter you generated

Hi @HotChilli 

Firstly thanks for responding, ive never seen it done like this before. In the advanced editor I cant get this statement to work:

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Split Column by Delimiter", Text.Length("[Fin Project].[Project].[Project].[MEMBER_UNIQUE_NAME]")=8

Thanks

Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.